Chocolate fat bombs are THE BOMB in low carb recipes! In this particular case, you’re most certainly not what you eat with this low carb candy!
For those not familiar, fat bombs is one of the BEST bake-free, refined sugar-free, low carb snacks! These bite sized morsels are generally made with nut/seed butters (peanuts, cashews, almonds, sunflower seeds, tahini, etc.) or coconut oil, cream cheese, dark chocolate, cocoa powder, etc. that bring the healthy fat into the treat. Hence, its name!
This will be one of your new favorite and crazy simple (ONLY FOUR INGREDIENTS) low carb desserts!
Chocolate and fat are alwaaaaays a delicious combination but they’re not usually thought of as healthy. My chocolate fat bombs are here to disrupt the desert game (in the very best way possible)!
Here’s why I love these chocolate fat bombs: (although, once you try them, you’ll GET IT):
- They taste EXACTLY like a low carb crunch bar (if you use the pecans).
- Making these is wayyy cheaper than buying low carb chocolate… (but it tastes just as AMAZING!)
- There is ZERO baking required! None, nada, zilch! These are perfect for the summer and not turning on the oven!
- There are only 3 easy ingredients! THREE! (You still have the ability to add more things should you want to pump up the flavors!)
- They’re delicious treats that fill you up and keep you feeling full longer! Score!
- They’re the PERFECT bite sized morsels for grabbing and going! Kids also think these are so fun to eat!
- You can make a large batch and keep them in the fridge or freezer for anytime a chocolate craving strikes! I like to double (or triple) this recipe and freeze them so that I have loads of ready to go healthy snacks on hand!
- They’re low carb, keto and paleo friendly!
Here’s the SKINNY on my chocolate FAT bombs:
What I and the other smarties who follow a keto lifestyle already know is that chocolate fat bombs are ALL THE RAGE!
And for a good reason! They’re high in fat (obviously!) and lower in other macronutrients, such as carbs and protein (unless you want to sneak some in there…).
Here’s what we’ll be using in this recipe:
Unsweetened baking chocolate – it’s low in NET carbs and has no sugar, which makes it a fantastic, low carb chocolate choice! You can find a bar of this stuff in the baking section (I always buy this at Walmart as it’s half the price!!). You can make your chocolate fat bombs light-dark, depending on how much baking chocolate you add in! Add in more for a darker variation… Dark chocolate fat bombs are what food craving dreams are made of!
Erythritol – is a fantastic refined sugar substitute with ZERO calories or sugar. It is diabetes-friendly and doesn’t spike blood glucose or insulin levels.
Coconut oil – Coconut oil is almost all fat, which is why it tends to harden at cold or room temperatures. But don’t worry, it’s still perfectly good to use!
Tools To Make
All you need to make my chocolate fat bombs is:
- A silicone mold for the chocolate fat bombs, (I used this diamond-shaped one from Amazon). You can also use a mini muffin pan with liners.
- And a double boiler.
In case you aren’t familiar with what a double boiler is, here’s the scoop on using one: It is used when cooking ingredients that require gentle heat through steam, instead of direct heat. This is especially important when dealing with delicate ingredients such as, when: melting chocolate, making hollandaise or fussy custards/puddings that may burn or separate if cooked over direct heat.
If you do not have a double boiler, don’t sweat it! You can easily melt the chocolate and coconut oil in the microwave. You can also always create a makeshift double boiler by placing a heat-safe mixing bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.
The steam will rise into the mixing bowl, causing the ingredients to melt slowly. Both are great ways to get the job done without having to buy any extra tools!
My chocolate fat bombs are best enjoyed fresh outta the freezer but feel free to store these healthy desserts in the fridge for a couple of days too.
Can You Freeze These Healthy Snacks?
Yes, freeze these for some chilled impromptu healthy snacks whenever you want! It’s my go-to way to lock in these healthy recipes fresh, chocolatey and deliciousness.
Check out these additional ways you can customize and create your own version of my chocolate fat bombs…
Can I Add Cream Cheese?
Oooh, yessssss! Add cream cheese to turn this snack into dreamy, cream cheese fat bombs!
Cream cheese is a perfect fat option for these bombs, just use it instead of coconut oil and you’ll be good to go! Keep in mind, they’ll melt more easily than the recipe below, but they’re so insanely creamy, it’s difficult to have just one!
Can I Add Strawberries?
Add dehydrated strawberries and cream cheese to make fruitastic, strawberry cheesecake fat bombs! Add these in addition to unsweetened baking chocolate for a truly decadent treat.
You could really add any fruit your desire, that’s seasonal or that you happen to have on hand. I like to use fruit that is about to go bad so I don’t feel guilty about wasting it!
Berries are the ultimate for refreshingly sweet, fruit fat bombs! Blueberries and raspberries are my faves! They’re also NEXT LEVEL with cream cheese added to them!
Can I Add Some Citrus Flavor?
Want a citrus punch?! Add some orange peel to the mix below, orange and chocolate are one of my favorite combos…
Can I Add Coconut?
Into the coconut craze?! Honestly, who isn’t?! Make coconut fat bombs to fulfill your Hawaiian tastes and pretend you’re soaking up some island sun!
Can I Add Peanut Butter?
If I could, I would add peanut butter to everything possible. It’s just SO GOOD. Make peanut butter fat bombs for the ultimate in protein snacks orrrrr chocolate peanut butter fat bombs if you are craving something a bit richer — just use PB instead of coconut oil, and you’ve got yourself a Reeses-like TREAT!
Chocolate Fat BombsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- Add unsweetened baking chocolate and coconut oil to a double boiler, and stir together as the ingredients melt (this can also be done in the microwave!).
- Remove from heat and stir in erythritol, salt, cinnamon, and pecans (if using).
- Pour into silicone molds** -- if you don't have any, a muffin tin with muffin liners will work perfectly.
- Place in freezer until firm (about 30 minutes).
- Store in the fridge, and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
Want more low carb snacks?! You won’t regret making these! (Fat) Bombs away!
- Cookie Dough Fat Bomb
- Cheesecake Fat Bombs
- Low Carb Vanilla Ice Cream
- Chocolate Chia Pudding
- Low Carb Dark Chocolate
Whether you’ve just discovered chocolate fat bombs or were looking for some fun, new fat bomb inspiration, I’d love to know if you make these! Let me hear about it in the comments below!