Your sweet tooth and I have been talking, and together, we came up with this fluffy, scrumptious low carb carrot cake recipe!
You read that right — low carb cake! I don’t mess around when it comes to low carb desserts, so you know this recipe is not only decadently sweet but also firmly on the healthy recipes list.
Like other low carb recipes, almond flour lends its magical heartiness to this cake’s texture, giving you protein without the carbs.
Plus, every piece of this low carb carrot cake recipe is topped with frosting!
Any time I can indulge in a dessert without feeling weighed down — by carbs or guilt — I am SO there! Which is what I love most about this low carb carrot cake recipe.
Each bite makes my soul and tummy feel great!
- Fluffy low carb magic
- A sneaky way to get veggies
- Easily switched to be dairy-free too!
All these low carb ingredients come together SO quickly and easily to recreate the texture made famous by carbs! Seriously, this recipe is 30 minutes of prep or LESS!
Here’s everything you need to know about baking this low carb carrot cake recipe:
Bonus points: Low carb baking requires a few less common ingredients, but you’ll find I use the SAME ingredients in all my baking recipes. So if you plan to do a lot of low carb baking, invest once, and you’ll be good to go!
Almond Flour – For best texture results, opt for a fine grained almond flour such as Bob’s Red Mill or Trader Joe’s brand!
Erythritol – This sugar alcohol is my favorite low carb sugar substitute because it acts so much like regular sugar. We’ll be using granular in the cake and confectioners in the frosting. This ensures the best texture in both!
Don’t have confectioners erythritol laying around? Toss your granular erythritol in the blender and blend until powdered! (Wait until the dust settles to remove the lid!)
As far as products go, switch between Lakanto and Swerve, both of which I buy in bulk on Amazon.
Xanthan Gum – This ingredient replicates the thickening and binding capabilities of gluten! Even in small amounts, it keeps all our ingredients in place.
Flaxseeds – Since low carb flours are heavier and denser than traditional wheat flour, we’ll need an ingredient such as ground flaxseeds to add “fluff” and texture to our low carb carrot cake recipe. Low in NET carbs but packed with fiber and other nutrients (like calcium and omega-3’s!) it makes a great addition to baking!
You can also use NOW brand psyllium husk instead.
Tools To Make
The tools you need to make this low carb carrot cake recipe are the same ones you’d use for any other cake!
- 3 8″ round cake pans
- Electric mixer
- Wire cooling rack
That’s it! So easy, right?
Storing the result of your low carb carrot cake recipe baking adventures couldn’t be simpler! Just toss it in the fridge until you’re ready to eat!
I like to frost my cake immediately before serving — since our cake has carrots in it, their color tends to bleed into the cream cheese frosting if it sits for too long! Giving it a slightly orange tint.
Can You Freeze This?
Yes! With or without frosting, I like to slice this low carb carrot cake into 8 pieces and freeze each slice in a resealable bag.
To thaw, let it sit in the fridge until it reaches your desired temp and texture. I personally love it a little on the frozen side!
This low carb carrot cake recipe goes great with afternoon coffee or tea! It’s obviously a great after dinner dessert too.
My favorite way to really dress up this cake for an indulgent dessert is to drizzle it with my low carb caramel. Okay, fine — “drizzle” is more like “dump a whole bunch,” but what can I say? It’s so yummy!
Want to shake things up on the low carb carrot cake front? Let’s have some fun!
What Kind Of Frosting Can I Use?
Don’t feel limited by low carb frosting! There are so many versions that all go so well with this cake.
Low carb cream cheese frosting is an obvious choice, and with good reason — that tart pop is so delicious with the sweet cake! Another favorite is sugar free whipped cream. This icing keeps it light while still being creamy-dreamy YUM!
Can I Make Smaller Portions?
I love making carrot cake low carb cupcakes and storing them to have on hand when sweet cravings hit! Simply bake the cupcakes for 22-26 minutes.
I haven’t tried turning this into a low carb mug cake, but if you give it a shot, let me know in the comments below!
Can I Add Toppings?
Go for it! The traditional toppings for a low carb carrot cake are roughly chopped pecans sprinkled on top (kinda like low carb pecan pie).
I love to add:
- Slice strawberries, or any berries for that matter!
- Edible flowers
- Shredded and unsweetened coconut (for a play on coconut fat bombs!)
How Can I Sneak In Some More Fruit/Veggies?
You sure can!
Cut the carb count down by swapping some of your carrots for zucchini (ala low carb zucchini bread).
You can also add some berries into your batter before baking! Blueberries, raspberries or strawberries give a delicious burst of flavor and color with every slice! Think of it as carrot cake and low carb blueberry muffins love child, it’s goooood!
Can I Turn This Into A Loaf Of Bread?
To turn this low carb carrot cake recipe into bread, you can simply just pour it into a bread pan and bake it that way.
Keep in mind, this recipe won’t rise as much as most bread recipes as it doesn’t contain the same leavening agents (check out my soul bread or my low carb sandwich bread to see what I’m talking about). BUT, if you don’t mind the height, turning this into a sliceable bread is a great way to prepare grab and go treats.
Psst — You may want to cut down on the sweetener a bit, as bread tends to be less sweet than cake (take my healthy pumpkin bread for example)
Low Carb Carrot CakePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 4 Eggs
- 1 1/4 Cups Vegetable Oil I use avocado oil
- 2 1/3 Cups Erythritol Granular
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 2 Cups Almond Flour*
- 1 Cup Ground Flaxseed
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Cinnamon ground
- 3 Cups Carrots grated
- 1 Cups Pecans roughly chopped
- 8 Ounces Cream Cheese softened
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter softened
- 1 Cup Confectioners’ Erythritol
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/8 Teaspoon Salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F and grease 3 8" round cake pans with butter or vegetable oil.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the eggs, oil, erythritol, and vanilla together.
- Add the almond flour, ground flaxseed, baking soda, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt, and cinnamon. Mix until well incorporated.
- Use a rubber spatula to fold in the carrots and pecans.
- Pour even amounts of batter into each of the prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes. You'll know the cake is done once the center is set and the top is golden brown.
- Allow cake to cool in pans for 10 minutes, then remove the cakes from the pan, and allow them to cool on a wire rack completely.
- Combine frosting ingredients in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Once the cake has cooled completely, frost it. Sprinkle pecans on top, and enjoy!
Is your sweet tooth still talking? Let’s satisfy it with some more healthy desserts!
- Low Carb Cheesecake – All the creamy deliciousness without the carbs!
- Low Carb Pumpkin Cheesecake – A fall favorite that’s great year-round.
- Low Carb Chocolate Cake – Sometimes you just need CHOCOLATE!
- Low Carb No Bake Cheesecake – Who has time for oven baking?
- Low Carb Banana Bread – Pst, there are no bananas in this bread!!
YUM, right? This low carb carrot cake recipe totally hits the spot with its sweetness, fluffiness, and overall scrumptiousness!
Let me know what you think in the comments!