I’m on a quest to uncover every possible way I can eat pumpkin over the next few months.
As I’ve previously confessed, I freegin’ love pumpkin. I hate more than anything that it’s only socially acceptable to eat it one season of the year (or at least publicly admit I’m eating it).
So I will admit to you, right now, that I’m literally cramming pumpkin into every recipe I can concoct.
Of course I’ve tried the typical recipes… pumpkin soup, muffins and pie.
Then I got a little more creative and discovered the easiest, most delicious way to eat pumpkin.
A pumpkin pie smoothie!!!
I know, I know. It sounds weird, but fear not, this smoothie is the most delicious, velvety, nutritionally dense smoothie you’ll ever have.
It’s so full of flavor you’ll almost feel guilty drinking it! However, despite it’s magical taste, it’s not the milkshake you think it is… at least not calorically anyway!
With every sip of this smoothie you’re basically slurping up a blended/edible version of Thanksgiving, fall and Halloween! I’m talking pumpkin pie in a cup, minus the calories, added sugar and preservatives.
Tis the season to be festive! Thanks to recipes like this, being festive doesn’t mean being unhealthy 🙂
Most holiday pumpkin recipes are processed, high calorie, gluten filled comfort foods not found on your “clean eating grocery list” (check out our clean eating grocery list here!). These recipes typically combine pumpkin with sugar, flour, etc. to create a myriad of naughty festive treats… which of course taste incredible! However they supply your body with unhealthy, non-sustaining ingredients.
Sadly, this nutritionally dense vegetable has gotten a bad rap as a sinful food. People seem to forget how good pumpkin actually is for you.
Because of this, I am determined to cook with it as much as possible this fall season.
I love pumpkin, not only because of its nutritional makeup, but also because it satiates me. I find that adding pumpkin to my morning smoothies helps to tide me over until lunch.
This recipe is one of my first attempts to redefine pumpkin… in a healthy way!
This recipe is photographed with our pumpkin smoothie poured over chocolate chia seed pudding. If you are looking for a lighter/faster meal, ignore the second part of the recipe and enjoy the pumpkin smoothie on its own! We promise you wont be disappointed 🙂
If you’re craving a special holiday treat… go for the whole shebang! These two recipes combined make one of our favorite fall meals!
The second layer of is recipe is the famously delicious chocolate chia seed pudding. It’s also killer on its own and makes for a perfect snack when topped with nuts and/or fruit!
Chia pudding is all the rage lately, and for good reason! With simple, clean ingredients like almond milk + chia seeds you can create one of the most scrumptious, clean eating desserts out there.
Add a little unsweetened cacao powder to satisfy your chocolate cravings and a few dates to sweeten up that thang!
So here we go… my favorite, festively colored and delightfully good seasonal smoothie!
Pumpkin Pie Smoothie + Chocolate Chia Pudding
- ½ cup Pumpkin Puree (fresh or canned)
- 1 Frozen Banana
- 1 cup Coconut Milk (get the recipe to make your own here!)
- 2-3 Pitted Dates - to tastes, add more/less depending on how sweet you like your smoothies! (You can substitute this with 1 Tbsp of your favorite sweetener)
- ¼ tsp Vanilla Extract
- ¼ tsp Cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp Nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp Allspice
- ½ cup Ice
- Let's make the Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding first as it needs to sit in the fridge for a while.
- You can go one of 2 ways here... blended or non-blended, depending on whether or not you like the consistency of chia seeds. You can either (non-blended): mix all ingredients in a bowl. Or (blended): Toss all ingredients in a blender and blend! Blend until ingredients are smooth/combined. You will probably need to clean the sides of the blender to incorporate everything.
- Cover the mixture and place in the fridge. I typically let mine settle overnight or 3-5 hours. Ultimately whenever it has a pudding-like consistency.
- Here's the easiest part 🙂 Place all the ingredients into blender and blend until smooth!
- Serve chilled. Pour layers of the chia pudding, then the pumpkin smoothie. Serve with a spoon and straw, and enjoy!