This kale smoothie is *actually* delicious. So delicious, that our family craves it for breakfast. It’s light and refreshing, full of nutrients, SO easy to make, and the perfect way to start the day. Here’s how to make this easy kale smoothie recipe, plus a handful of ways to tweak it to suit your craving.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email below and we’ll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you’ll get great new recipes from us every week!
Ingredients for This Kale Smoothie Recipe
Here’s what to collect for this kale smoothie recipe. Quick note: I actually freeze my kale leaves, sliced bananas, and berries (if you choose to add them in). This makes the smoothie cool without needing to add ice!
- Fresh kale leaves, with the stems removed. Any type of kale will work here, just know that baby kale has the mildest flavor, while Lacinato kale is slightly sweet.
- Banana, I love slicing my bananas and freezing them to make the smoothie extra cool. Bananas are a great addition for their sweetness and creamy consistency.
- Apple, adds a touch of sweetness and fiber. Honey crisps are my favorite.
- Avocado brings healthy fats and even more creaminess to our kale smoothie recipe.
- Lemon juice adds a bit of acidity to round out the flavor.
- Cilantro and ginger for a little zing.
There are dozens of ways to make kale smoothie recipes. Although my favorite combination is above, you really can’t go wrong. Here are a few ways to make this recipe yours:
- Try other fruits instead of apples for a different flavor profile. Pineapples, pears, and berries are popular options.
- Add other veggies, such as spinach, cucumber, or celery for an added nutritional boost.
- Coconut water instead of water adds electrolytes and even more sweetness. Psst–I always use water to keep the added sugar down.
Recommended Tools For Making Smoothies
Investing in a high-quality blender ensures a silky smooth texture for your kale smoothie recipes. (Trust me, I used an immersian blender for years before making the investment, and I’m SO happy I finally did!) Opt for a blender with enough power to pulverize kale leaves and frozen fruits, such as a Vitamix, Blendtec or Ninja.
Kale Smoothie Recipe Tips
Making a kale smoothie (any smoothie for that matter) is about as easy as they come. But there are a few ways you can make your smoothie even better. Here’s how:
- Prepping kale: Be sure to remove any of the stem for a smoother consistency.
- Stash ingredients in the freezer: I love freezing banana slices, kale, and spinach. The colder the smoothie, the tastier it is! (Psst–adding ice to kale smoothies waters down the flavor, so I try to avoid this).
- Blending order: Be sure to put any liquid in first, otherwise the blender can get stuck and struggle to incorporate everything.
- Is it OK to put raw kale in a smoothie? Absolutely! Kale is loaded with Vitamins K and C, plus tons of antioxidants (more on that here), so any way you can sneak kale into your eating plan is a win!
More Kale Recipes
- Kale Salad
- Kale Chips
- Sauteed Kale
- Kale Slaw
- Pickle Brine Chicken with Kale
- Rotisserie Chicken Soup with Kale
Kale SmoothiePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 8 – 10 ounces spring water
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 2 cups kale leaves stem removed. lightly packed
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 banana frozen
- 1/2 apple seeds and core removed
- 1/4 cup cilantro stems ok. packed
- 1 teaspoon ginger peeled + minced
- Place all ingredients in a high speed blender in the order listed above. Blend until completely smooth.
- Pour into 2 glasses, serve immediately, and enjoy!