Zesty sausage, melty cheese, and sauteed veggies unite for a keto breakfast casserole that’s best described as convenience meets hearty meets delicious meets low carb.
Hit The Snooze Button.
I wish I could tell you that I’m a morning person. That I wake up happy, peppy, and excited. That I start every day with a nice long jog. That I have only one cup of coffee. But I would never lie to you. So here’s the truth: I see mornings as a form of torture. The bright light, the grogginess, the to-do list.
But after a few cups of coffee and a hearty meal, I’m back to my normal, happy, peppy self. The problem is that hearty breakfast I mentioned — Making that requires your eyes to be fully open, and your mind to be operational.
Enter this low carb breakfast casserole.
It’s meal prep that doesn’t skimp on flavor. A casserole that isn’t loaded with carbs.
The ideal breakfast for those of us who never have time for breakfast. Who are feeding a crowd. Who hate mornings. Who aren’t low carb. Who love meat. Who love cheese. Basically, this casserole is for all of us. So prep it, slice it, and enjoy hitting the snooze button all week long 😴❤️ – Linds x
Keto Breakfast Casserole Video Tutorial
Important Ingredient Notes
- Italian sausage – spicy or mild will do. If you can only find links, use a knife to slice each sausage down the center, press out the sausage, and discard the casing.
- Avocado or vegetable oil
- Veggies – Onion and bell pepper.
- Salt + Pepper
- Heavy cream
- Tabasco – We’re only adding a little, which adds no heat, rather some complexity to the creamy base of this low carb breakfast casserole.
- Cheddar cheese
- Cherry tomatoes – optional. They do add carbs to this dish (.7 g per cherry tomato to be exact).
How to Make Keto Breakfast Casserole:
- Add breakfast sausage to a large skillet over medium heat. Break the meat into small pieces while the sausage cooks. Once browned and no longer pink, remove to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add vegetable oil. Once shimmering, add chopped onions, chopped bell peppers, and salt. Saute until soft, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, heavy cream, and tabasco.
- Stir in the shredded cheddar cheese, cooled sausage, cooled cooked veggies, and sliced cherry tomatoes.
- Pour into the prepared casserole dish.
- Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes. You’ll know the casserole is done once the center is set and the edges begin to brown. Slice into 9 pieces, and enjoy!
💪 Meal Prepping Tips
Make this breakfast sausage casserole at the beginning of the week, slice it into pieces, and reheat each slice in the microwave for keto breakfast (lunch, snack, or dinner!).
You can also freeze individual slices of this keto breakfast casserole, and reheat them in the microwave.
As you can imagine, there are dozens of ways to make a low carb breakfast casserole. Here are some ingredients you can switch around to get what you’re really craving:
- Sub sausage for… bacon or make a breakfast casserole with ham.
- Or skip the meat for a vegetarian option.
- Try different keto vegetables, like spinach, mushrooms, or broccoli.
- Make it spicy by adding more tabasco or diced jalapenos.
More Low Carb Casseroles
Keto Breakfast CasserolePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 Pound Italian Sausage casings removed
- 2 Tablespoons Avocado or vegetable oil (note 1)
- 1 Cup Onion chopped (about 1/2 medium)
- 1 Cup Bell Peppers chopped (about 1 medium)
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 10 Large Eggs
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Teaspoon Tabasco
- 2 Cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 1/2 Cup Cherry Tomatoes sliced
- Prep. Preheat oven to 375 F and grease a 9x13 casserole dish.
- Cook sausage. Add breakfast sausage (1 pound) to a large skillet over medium heat. Break the meat into small pieces while the sausage cooks. Once browned and no longer pink, remove to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Saute veggies. Carefully remove excess grease from the pan (I do this by tilting the pan, and dabbing up the grease with paper towels and a set of tongs), and add vegetable oil (2 tablespoons). Once shimmering, add chopped onions (1 cup), chopped bell peppers (1 cup), and salt (1 teaspoon). Saute until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Eggs. In a large bowl, whisk eggs (10), heavy cream (1 cup), and tabasco (1/2 teaspoon). Stir in the shredded cheddar cheese (2 cups), cooled sausage, cooled cooked veggies, and sliced cherry tomatoes (1/2 cup). Pour into the prepared casserole dish.
- Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes. You'll know the casserole is done once the center is set and the edges begin to brown. Slice into 9 pieces, and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Oil - opt for a mild-tasting oil with a high smoke point. My favorite is avocado oil. Skip olive oil and coconut oil here.
- Nutritional information is based on 1 slice, if you cut this recipe into 8 slices: