On a low carb meal plan, it’s easy to load up on high fat foods, but what about those high fiber low carb foods, full of nutrients and digestive aid?
Those often get left behind!
Not anymore my friends, because these super delicious low carb foods are PERFECT for those counting their net carbs, are full of flavor, and make a GREAT addition to all sorts of low carb recipes!
Below I’ll share some of the top high fiber low carb foods, how to incorporate them, and why. Be sure to grab the high fiber low carb foods chart so you can print it and keep it on hand.
Let’s dig in…
Skip to a Section:
- High Fiber Low Carb Foods List
- NET vs. TOTAL Carbs On This List of Low Carb Foods
- Why High Fiber Low Carb Foods Are Important
- How to Eat More Examples of Carbohydrates (Fiber)
- High Fiber Doesn’t Mean They’re Not High Carb Foods
- Are Any of These No Carb Foods?
- Check Out Other Low Carb Food List Printable Resources:
- High Protein Low Carb Foods
- High Fat Low Carb Foods
High Fiber Low Carb Foods List
We’ll delve into the nitty gritty on fiber below, but here’s a high fiber low carb foods keto chart to get your started!
Sort the chart by clicking the category at the top that’s most important to you:
|Low Carb Food||Serving Size||Carbs||Fiber||Net Carbs|
|Strawberries||1 cup, halves||11.7||3||8.7|
|Wheat Bran||1/2 cup||18.7||12.4||6.3|
|Pumpkin Seeds||1/4 cup||8.6||2.9||5.7|
|Coconut Meat||1 cup, shredded||12.2||7.2||5|
|Brussels Sprouts||1 cup||7.8||3.3||4.5|
|Bell Pepper||1 cup, sliced||5.6||1.9||3.7|
|Cauliflower||1 cup, chopped||5.3||2.1||3.2|
|Zucchini||1 cup, chopped||3.9||1.2||2.7|
|Chia Seeds||1 oz||11.9||9.8||2.1|
|Sesame Seeds||1 tbsp||2.1||1.1||1|
|Swiss Chard||1 cup||1.4||0.6||0.8|
|Collard Greens||1 cup||1.95||1.4||0.55|
|Lettuce||1 cup, shredded||1||0.5||0.5|
|Broccoli Rabe||1 cup, chopped||1.1||1.1||0|
|Psyllium Husk pPowder||2 tbsp, level||8||7||1|
NET vs. TOTAL Carbs On This List of Low Carb Foods
It’s important to acknowledge that not all of you counting your carbs are counting your NET carbs — some of us (myself included) count TOTAL carbs. (Which is a totally different list of low carb foods)
Net carbs are calculated by subtracting the fiber from the total carbs, whereas total carbs include the fiber.
Pst, the high fiber low carb foods chart above can be sorted to accommodate both!
Why High Fiber Low Carb Foods Are Important
Fiber is a carbohydrate found in grains, fruits, vegetables, nut and seeds.
Unlike other low carb foods, fiber isn’t digested or absorbed by the body — instead it moves through our digestive system almost completely intact. There are 2 main classifications of fiber:
- Soluble, which dissolves in water to create a gel. Think high fiber low carb foods like psyllium husk and chia seeds.
- Insoluble Fiber, which adds bulk/roughage — leafy greens, cauliflower, etc.
These high fiber low carb foods benefit us in many ways. To name a few:
Regulates our digestive system.
High fiber low carb foods add “bulk” to our stool, which help pass everything through our digestive tract more easily.
Blood sugar control.
The absorption of sugar may be slowed down by soluble fiber. For this reason, foods high in soluble fiber are great high fiber low carb foods for diabetics.
High fiber foods are an awesome tool for weight management, as they fill you up and keep you satiated. Infact, this study found that by simply increasing fiber intake, patients were able to lose more weight.
How to Eat More Examples of Carbohydrates (Fiber)
Here are a few ways to incorporate more high fiber low carb foods:
- Adding keto fruits (such as raspberries and strawberries) to a bowl of low carb Greek yogurt. Top it with low carb granola for one of my favorite low carb breakfasts.
- Make keto granola full of nuts and seeds (that are listed above) for a high fiber low carb cereal.
- Low carb salads made with spinach or collard greens.
- Keto vegetables sauté. Mushrooms, broccoli rabe and asparagus are all delicious with some simple olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Enjoy almonds or unsweetened shredded coconut for tasty low carb snacks (both of these also make for great high fiber low carb foods breakfast).
High Fiber Doesn’t Mean They’re Not High Carb Foods
- Grains. Barely, whole wheat, etc.
- Beans. Split peas, lentils, black beans, etc.
- High carb fruits. Pears, apples, etc.
- High carb vegetables. Potatoes, etc.
Are Any of These No Carb Foods?
Since fiber ir a carbohydrate, there are zero no carb foods on this list of high fiber keto foods. That said, some are pretty close when the net carbs are calculated. Keep in mind, you can always eat LESS of a food to consume less carbs.
The closest to no carb foods you can get on this list are avocados, leafy greens and broccoli rabe. (again, if you’re calculating your NET CARBS)
Check Out Other Low Carb Food List Printable Resources:
If you’re new to a low carb meal plan, and trying to gather all the low carb food list printable resources you can, great news: I’ve created a low carb resource library full of assets!
Here are a few others you may find useful:
High Protein Low Carb Foods
As far as macronutrients go, protein is the best suppressor of the hunger hormone in charge of keeping us full and making us hungry again. Check out this list of high protein low carb foods to see what you can squeeze into your meal plan.
High Fat Low Carb Foods
More often than not, fitting high fat low carb foods is easy for us (hello cheese, red meat and nuts!) But if you’re looking for a full list of ideas, check out my guide.
Alright my friends! I hope this post helps sheds some light that getting fiber on a low carb diet is totally possible, and that low carb fiber supplement may not be necessary.
Let me know your favorite high fiber low carb foods in the comments below. Enjoy!