Oven baked (or air fried!) to crispy perfection, these lemon pepper wings are salty, peppery, lemony, and oh-so delicious. The lemon pepper wings sauce makes these the easiest of my baked chicken wings recipes. Let me show you how to make them in under an hour.
Are lemon pepper wings keto?
Every ingredient in this lemon pepper wings recipe is low carb and keto–from the wings to the lemon pepper sauce. Even your dip options are low carb!
What is lemon pepper sauce made of?
To make lemon pepper sauce, all you’ll need is unsalted butter and lemon pepper seasoning. It’s amazing how much flavor you can get out of these two simple ingredients.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Four ingredients are all you need for these crispy wings. Here’s what to gather and a few notes:
- Wings: Start by separating the drumette and flat, and removing the tip–this is best done by using a sharp knife and slicing right at the joint. Psst–I like to purchase party wings, as they’ve already been separated.
- Oil: Grab a mild tasting oil with a high smoke point–I love avocado oil; vegetable oil is another great option.
- Butter: Be sure to use unsalted butter, lemon pepper seasoning has loads of salt in it.
- Lemon pepper seasoning: Grab a jar of this near the herbs and spices.
Perfect and easy as is, but not hard to modify, here are a few ways to add your twist to these lemon pepper wings:
- Use baking powder + salt to crisp the skin, instead of oil. This is what I do for most of my wing recipes (see my garlic parmesan wings). It gets the skin a little crisper, no oil needed.
- Add honey to the sauce for a sweet and salty combo.
- Make a creamy lemon pepper dipping sauce. See my garlic parmesan sauce for inspiration, just mix in some lemon pepper! You can also (and I strongly suggest) dip these wings in ranch or blue cheese.
How to Make Lemon Pepper Wings in the Oven
I don’t know about you, but once I get started eating wings, it’s hard to stop. Which is why I prefer making lemon pepper wings in the oven–I can make a larger portion all at once to feed the whole fam. Here’s how with step-by-step photos:
1. Prep your wings by patting them dry with paper towels, then coating them in oil. Place them on a wire rack nestled inside a rimmed baking sheet, and bake in your preheated oven.
2. Make the lemon pepper sauce by melting your butter, and mixing in the lemon pepper seasoning (yup, it’s that easy!).
3. Coat the wings in sauce using a brush, as soon as they’re hot out of the oven. Be sure to turn the wings to get all sides.
How to make lemon pepper wings in an air fryer?
Air fryer wings are super crispy, and are a great way to make a smaller portion for yourself. To make lemon pepper wings in an air fryer, simply:
- Dry your wings, then toss them in oil. Preheat air fryer to 400 F for 5 minutes.
- Place wings in a single, non-touching layer in your air fryer, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Flip, and cook for an additional 8 minutes.
Tips for Crispy Wing Success
I’m telling you, these wings are so easy to make (and hard to mess up!). Here are a few things to pay special attention to:
- Dab your wings completely dry with paper towels. This will allow the oil to coat and crisp the skin.
- Use a wire rack, so your hot oven air can fully circulate around the wings.
- Give the wings space on your rack, again so the air can circulate. Make sure to place them in a single, non-touching layer.
Lemon Pepper WingsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 3 pounds chicken wings drumettes and flats seperated, tips removed
- 2 tablespoons mild tasting oil such as avocado or canola oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 4 teaspoons lemon pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 F, and place an oven safe wire rack inside a rimmed baking sheet.
- Pat wings completely dry with paper towels, and place them in a large bowl. Drizzle with oil and toss to coat. Place wings on the prepared baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven until internal temp reaches 165 F–should be 45-55 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter and stir in the lemon pepper. Once the wings are done cooking, brush the lemon pepper sauce over each wing, making sure to get all sides. Serve with your favorite dip (we like ranch), and enjoy!
Leave a Reply