A little spicy, a little sweet, super tender, and incredibly easy to make–this harissa honey chicken is amazing and delicious! And perfect for meal prep. Inspired by Cava’s honey harissa chicken recipe, you’ll be shocked at how quick this is to make at home!
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email below and we’ll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you’ll get great new recipes from us every week!
What does harissa taste like?
Harissa is a North African chili paste or spice blend, typically made from a combination of roasted red peppers, hot chili peppers, garlic, olive oil, and spices. Every brand will have a slightly different flavor profile, for this recipe, I used Mina’s harissa paste, which can be purchased at Whole Foods, Walmart, or Amazon.
- What is the closest spice to harissa? Since Harissa is a spice blend, there really is no great substitute for it. That said, if you’re in a super pinch, you can try a combo of smoked paprika and chili powder, then add a dash of cumin and coriander.
- Is harissa mild or spicy? Harissa varies in spice levels depending on the product you purchase; generally speaking, it ranges from medium spicy to very spicy. Your product will typically label the spice level–Mina’s comes in both mild and spicy.
Honey harissa chicken comes together with a few simple marinade ingredients, plus chicken. Here’s what to collect and a few things to consider:
- The chicken: We love chicken thighs for this harissa honey chicken, they’re higher in fat than breasts so they have more flavor and stay tender and juicy when roasted.
- The marinade: First and foremost we’ll need harissa paste and honey. Then we’ll add a few other ingredients that are already in the harissa paste to enhance their flavor even more: olive oil, lemon zest, cumin, paprika, and garlic.
Tweaks + Substitutions
Although we love this harissa honey chicken as is, there are so many ways to make it unique to your cravings. To name a few:
- This marinade is amazing on so many things: Try using chicken breasts, heck, you can even try this recipe with grilled shrimp, baked salmon, or roasted vegetables (just know bake times will vary).
- Cut back on the carbs by substituting honey with your favorite of the keto sweeteners, my go-to is typically Swerve or Lakanto.
- Adjust the spice level by adding some chilli powder, or purchasing a different spice level of harissa paste.
How to Make Harissa Honey Chicken
This harissa chicken recipe is my kind of recipe, as it comes together in a matter of minutes, and just needs a simple bake in the oven…
- Combine marinade ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add the chicken.
- Marinate for 1-2 hours.
- Spread chicken onto a baking sheet and bake in the oven.
How to Serve Harissa Honey Chicken
This incredibly delicious harissa chicken recipe is versatile and easy to dish up however you desire. Some of my favorite ways include:
- Make harissa honey chicken bowls, with rice, cauliflower fried rice, broccoli rice, or your favorite grains. Be sure to add in some veggies, like mixed greens, roasted cauliflower, pickled onions, and corn.
- Or tacos with my kale slaw and avocado slices.
- OR! A delicious chicken salad, with avocado, pickled onions, and corn.
Storing + Reheating
Store leftover honey harissa chicken in the fridge in an airtight container, and reheat in the microwave before serving–chicken thighs don’t dry out easily so this is the perfect recipe to reheat without compromising flavor and texture.
More Chicken Thigh Recipes
Harissa Honey ChickenPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
Harissa honey marinade:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons harissa paste
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest about 1/2 lemon zested
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound chicken thighs boneless + skinless. Cut into 1″ pieces
- Combine all marinade ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add the chicken and toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge to marinate for 1-2 hours.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425 F. Once the chicken is done marinating, spread into a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 15-16 minutes, you'll know your chicken is done once the internal temp has reached 165 F.
- Serve warm, and enjoy!