I know what you’re thinking, zucchini hot dogs??? Trust me, friends, you are going to love this version of low carb hot dog buns!
I mean we all love squash, it’s why I have a million zucchini recipes! But, this may just turn out to be one of your favorite low carb dinners. It’s super-fast, and pairing protein-rich hot dogs with healthy and delicious veggies gives you one of the best low carb recipes mash-up ever!
Plus, if you’re having a cookout, this is great to serve alongside more traditional items without making a whole other dish. Let’s grill!
So many reasons to love this zucchini hot dogs recipe!!
- Everything can be cooked on the grill at once! Unlike hot dog buns, which need to be prepped and baked in the oven.
- Surprisingly delicious. Zucchini has a slightly sweet flavor once grilled that works marvelously with the dogs!
- EASY. Low carb meals with minimal effort are my fave! And help us stay on track, even when life gets busy.
After you make this quick and mouth-watering zucchini hot dogs recipe, you’ll wonder why you never paired these ingredients together in the first place:
This might be the simplest recipe ever – 2 main ingredients plus accessories!
Zucchinis – I love zucchinis! They’re great at mimicking whatever you want them to (check out my zucchini lasagna, zucchini enchiladas, zucchini pizza) and they’re loaded with nutrients and antioxidants and amazing flavor.
For this recipe, you’ll want large, firm, dark green squash.
Hot dogs – Choose whichever hot dogs you prefer. Most hot dogs and sausages are low carb, but you may want to double-check the ingredient label, just in case!
We LOVE Costco dogs, but often use Sabatino’s Chicken Sausage (also from Costco) as well.
Condiments – There are all kinds of low carb toppings you can choose from, some of my faves are:
- Sauce: Low carb ketchup, mustard, brown mustard, low carb BBQ sauce
- Veggies: diced onions, diced pickles (instead of relish, which is loaded with sugar), jalapenos
- Fancy dogs: low carb chili and cheese!
Tools To Make
The basic-est of basic tools!
- Spoon – the humble spoon is the real star of this zucchini hot dogs prep. Use a spoon to hollow out your zucchinis to make a nice snug little home for your hot dogs! Can you use something else? Sure, but this is by far the easiest.
- Grill – This will get your zucchinis nice and tender and add some of that smoky flavor we love in hot dogs. You can use a pan instead if that’s what you have available.
These zucchini hot dogs store ok in the fridge but they lose a lot of their luster. It’s better to make these fresh. Luckily, they cook super fast, and most of the prep ahead of time, so all that’s left is to heat and eat!
Wanna switch things up a big? Here are a few ideas for you:
- Wanna try different low carb vegetables? Of course you can use summer squash. Jalapenos would also work (think of them as a sleeve that slides onto the dogs)
- Not interested in the zucchini? Try using romaine or butter lettuce to make low carb lettuce wraps instead!
Zucchini Hot Dog BunsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Large Zucchinis
- 4 Hot Dogs*
- Mild Tasting Oil (see notes below)
- Low Carb Ketchup
- Pickles diced
- Yellow Onion diced
- Remove the top and bottom tip from the zucchini and discard, then cut them in half lengthwise.
- Use a spoon to hollow out the center of the zucchini (similar to zucchini boats, but you want to remove the ends as well so the hot dog can fit in the center.
- Preheat your grill.
- Brush both sides of the zucchini with oil.
- Once the grill has heated up, grill zucchini on high heat for 5 minutes on each side. Before removing the zucchini, make sure they're tender to your liking. If you'd like them to be more tender, cook them over indirect heat until you're satisfied. I like to cook the zucchini at the same time I cook the hot dogs.
- Place the grilled hot dog in the center of each grilled zucchini and cover with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
Who doesn’t need more easy low carb lunches? These are some of my favorites:
- Low Carb Wraps – These versatile wraps are good for all sorts of quicky lunches!
- Ham Roll Ups – Forget the bread altogether with these innovative lunchmeat rolls.
- Cucumber Sandwiches – A tea classic – updated!
- Low Carb Walking Tacos – All our favorite Mexican flavors in a super portable package!
- Stuffed Peppers Without Rice – Who needs rice when you have flavors like these?
I’ll bet these delicious and nutritious zucchini hot dogs surprised you in a VERY good way!
Let me know in the comments what you thought of this hot dog bun swap! And happy grilling!