Chocolate Whipped Coffee (a.k.a. Dalgona Coffee)
Servings 2 Coffees
- 2 Tablespoons Instant Coffee
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar I use erythritol (see notes below for the low carb version's nutritional info**)
- 2 Tablespoons Hot Water
- 1 Tablespoon Cocoa Powder
- 2-3 Cups Keto Milk I use almond milk. This can be warm or cold, depending on your preference. I use 1 1/2 cups of almond milk per cup of coffee.
Combine sugar (2 tablespoons) and instant coffee (2 tablespoons) in a large bowl.
Pour hot water (2 tablespoons) over the top.
Use an electric mixer on a very high speed to mix until the coffee becomes frothy and light in color, this should take about 2-5 minutes. Since there isn't a lot to work with, I find this is easiest to do by tilting the bowl to one side so the liquid pools together.
Once the coffee is totally frothy, add cocoa powder (1 tablespoon), and fold into the froth -- I find the best way to do this is to place cocoa powder in a fine-mesh strainer and sprinkle over the top, then fold the coffee 1-2 times to incorporate.
Pour (warm or cold) milk (2-3 cups) in a glass -- if serving cold, you can add ice cubes. Spoon the coffee over the top.
Stir before drinking, and enjoy!
- Cocoa Powder. I much prefer dutch process cocoa powder in sweets, as it’s significantly less bitter than regular!
- Lakanto, Swerve, or Erythritol. I stick to Lakanto and Swerve which are a 1:1 swap with traditional sugar. If using a different brand of Erythritol, keep in mind it's 70% as sweet as sugar, so you may need to add more to taste.
- Milk. I swap between unsweetened light almond or coconut milk.
- Looking for an even foamier coffee? Add the cocoa powder to your milk instead! Adding cocoa powder to the coffee takes away some of its foaminess.
- Want a traditional dalgona? Skip the cocoa powder all together.
- **Nutritional information for a low carb / keto dalgona coffee (meaning you swap the sugar for erythritol and the milk for almond/coconut milk):
- Calories - 58
- Net Carbs - 4g
- Total Carbs - 15g
- Fiber - 2g
- Sugar Alcohol - 9g
- Sugar - 1g
- Fat - 3g
- Protein - 2g
Calories: 219kcal | Total Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 8g | Sodium: 107mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 24g | Net Carbs: 28g
Delicious recipe from Lindsey Hyland // www.thelittlepine.com