If you love Thai cuisine, you’re going to DIG this Thai chicken soup recipe!
It’s one of those addictingly tasty low carb chicken recipes with creamy coconut milk, spicy jalapeno, peppery ginger, sweet bell peppers, earthy mushrooms, citrusy lemongrass, savory fish sauce, tender chicken with warming ginger, garlic and red curry paste.
It’s one of those low carb soup recipes that actually brings an explosion of FLAVOR, unlike other boring low carb recipes! Make it in less than an hour for one of the greatest low carb dinners of the week!
Your sinuses will clear and your taste buds will sing!
Let’s get started…
Here’s why I love this Thai chicken soup recipe and why you will too:
- The international flavors of this dish knock it out of the park!
- In under an hour, lunch or dinner is served!
- This is a great meal prepping recipe!
- It freezes well, so you can enjoy it now and later!
- Did I mention the flavors are INSANE?!
Here’s the scoop on everything you need to know to make Thai coconut chicken soup:
Check out all the ingredients you’ll need for Asian chicken recipes(and need to know about) for this warming Thai chicken soup with coconut milk recipe:
Lemongrass Bulbs – a tall, perennial, fragrant grass native to India and tropical Asia, used for centuries as both medicine and food. (These can sometimes be hard to find in the grocery store, but just ask them to help you!)
Ginger – the health benefits of ginger are numerous and include its ability to fight germs, calms nausea, it’s even been said to lower your body’s blood sugar!
Pro tip: I buy frozen/peeled/minced ginger from Trader Joes! It’s a game-changer!
Coconut Milk – This makes our soup recipe nice and creamy, while also cutting out milk which is high in sugar and carbs. Be sure to choose an unsweetened kind for optimal health benefits.
Fish Sauce – This condiment is a staple in Asia that will really change the umami of your dish. Just know that a little goes a long way!
Red Curry Paste – is usually made up of red chilies, garlic, red bell pepper, ginger, and onions with various warming spices.
Sugar – Use erythritol (a keto friendly sugar substitute) to keep this dish as a low carb chicken soup as possible.
Chicken Breast or Thighs: use frozen or fresh! If you don’t have time to make chicken, buy a rotisserie chicken and make a Thai rotisserie chicken soup!
Tools To Make
Here’s what you need to make this Thai chicken soup recipe:
- Heavy bottom stockpot with lid
- Plate to rest the chicken on
- Bowls to serve
Don’t want to mess with the stockpot or simply don’t have the time?! Get out your Instant Pot and make instant pot chicken soup. It’s fast, it’s easy and it’s comforting!
Simply saute the veggies using the saute feature. Then add everything and secure the lid. Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Once the instant pot beeps, turn the pressure release valve to “venting”. Remove the lid once pressure has released and taste seasoning to adjust as desired.
Only have a crockpot? The above works perfectly for crockpot chicken soup! Although, I prefer using an instant pot or stovetop for this soup, as Thai chicken soup slow cooker will create extra dirty dishes.
Store this delish Thai chicken soup recipe in the fridge. When you’re ready to eat again, simply heat up on the stovetop or in your microwave and enjoy!
Can You Freeze This?
Yes, this is the perfect dish to freeze for another time.
Meal Prepping Tips
I love meal prepping healthy dinners and this Thai chicken soup recipe is in my arsenal of fave weeknight recipes.
Here are my hacks below to help you make the most of your time:
- Chicken: To make it easier, buy a rotisserie chicken to save you the time of preparing raw chicken.
- Herbs: Fresh is always better but if you don’t have fresh, use jarred spices for ginger and garlic.
- Vegetables: You can always see if you can find frozen options (mushrooms and red peppers) to save time.
- Chicken Broth: Use homemade or just buy it in the carton! I like to always have some on hand in the pantry for making soup last minute.
Variety is the key to life and recipes! See below for inspiration.
- Add more low carb vegetables. Chicken vegetable soup is such an easy way to squeeze in an extra serving (or help you clean out that veggie drawer). Some of my favorites are sliced zucchini or summer squash!
- You can make this soup as spicy or as mild as you like. If you want to turn up the heat, add some extra jalapenos or another spicy pepper of your choosing! You can also add a couple squirts of Sriracha or a tablespoon of Sambal Oelek chili paste. Looking for other spicy soup options? Try this low carb taco soup instead.
- Add zucchini zoodles or cauliflower rice to this dish. They give a great consistency to your soup and are both low carb. Yahoo!
Thai Chicken SoupPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons Mild Tasting Oil (see notes below)
- 3 Scallions white and pale greens only. Thinly sliced. (Reserve dark greens for topping.)
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Teaspoons Ginger minced
- 1 Jalapeño with seeds, thinly sliced (or seeded if you prefer less heat)
- 2 Red Bell Peppers sliced
- 1 Cup Mushrooms sliced
- 3 Lemon Grass Bulbs
- 1 Quart Chicken Broth
- 1 13.5 Ounce Full Fat Coconut Milk*
- 1 Tablespoon Fish Sauce
- 4 Teaspoons Red Curry Paste
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar erythritol of low carb!
- 1 Teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 1 Teaspoons Lime Zest
- 1 Pound Chicken Breast or Thighs boneless + skinless
- Fresh Cilantro
- Heat vegetable oil in a heavy bottom stockpot.
- Once shimmering, add scallions, garlic, ginger, and jalapenos. Saute until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the bell peppers, mushrooms, and lemongrass. Saute until softened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, coconut milk, fish sauce, curry paste, sugar, salt, lime zest and chicken to the stockpot.
- Bring soup to a boil, then cover and continue to cook for 25 minutes. Check chicken to see that it's cooked through fully (no longer pink) before moving on to the next step.
- Place cooked chicken on a plate and all it to rest for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid from the soup, and continue to cook at a steady simmer for 10 minutes.
- Shred chicken into large pieces and return to the soup.
- Taste test the seasoning of the soup and adjust to your liking. (I like to add an additional teaspoon of salt here).
- Ladle into bowls, top with freshly chopped cilantro and lime slices, and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
Check out these yummy chicken soup recipes:
- Keto Chicken And Dumplings. Make your Grandma proud!
- Buffalo Chicken Soup. Better than the sandwich version.
- Low Carb Beef Stew. Wait till you test out my FAVE potato swap!
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup. INSTANT! And tortilla soup. Two of my favorite things.
- Chicken Curry Soup. Another addictingly delicious curry soup!
I know that once you try this Thai chicken soup recipe, you’re going to be hooked! Comment below and let me know what you thought!