Stuffed chicken breast with stuffing usually isn’t in the low carb recipes rotation… but now it can be. (Or not, you have the option with the irresistible low carb Thanksgiving recipe below!!)
Healthy recipes for stuffing can be prepared without using bread to keep them tasty and low carb. Pair them with healthy chicken recipes for succulent creative layers of flavor that melt in your mouth.
This stuffed chicken breast with stuffing recipe is one of the heartiest most versatile chicken recipes in my repertoire. It’s moist and fragrant and altogether marvelous! I love using this recipe for special occasions and I can’t wait to tell you about it!!
Let’s get started!
I absolutely love the layers of savory flavor and the tender succulent consistency of this stuffed chicken breast with stuffing recipe. I also love that this delectable dish really tastes like something special and it doesn’t take hours to put together.
Here are even more of its special qualities:
- Great use of leftovers!!
- Layers of delectable flavor
- Suuuper high in protein
- Low carb and keto (if you choose…)
- No crazy kitchen gadgets
- Beautiful presentation
Here’s everything you need to know about this easy peasy stuffed chicken breast with stuffing recipe:
Ingredient Notes (High / Low Carb Chicken)
Making stuffed chicken breast with stuffing is such a nice treat in my house and I really think you’ll feel the same way!! Here are the ingredients you’ll want to grab for this low carb chicken recipes delicious perfection:
Psst — if you’re not watching your carbs, just use your leftover stuffing inside chicken instead!
Chicken – Boneless skinless chicken breast works best for this recipe since you’ll be stuffing it.
Now, the stuffing, you can either use leftovers or follow my recipe for a quick and EASY low carb version. My recipe calls for:
Sausage – I chose breakfast sausage for the stuffing because it has a little bit sweeter undertone that goes nicely with the fragrant herbs and spices.
Herbs – I’m sure you noticed the generous amount of herbs in this recipe. This is because I use fresh herbs for this one. Fresh herbs have a more delicate flavor profile than dried herbs, so you often need to use more of them (when cooking) to get the desired effects.
Even if you’re making stuffed chicken breast with stuffing and gravy, the herbs play a big part in the recipe!
Tools To Make
One of the best things about preparing baked stuffed chicken breast recipes is that they can taste like a million bucks without a bunch of crazy kitchen gadgets! (Awesome sauce!!)
There are a few things you’ll need, but it’s likely stuff you already have sitting in your kitchen:
- Prepared baking sheet for the oven. Use a rimmed baking sheet! This will help prevent the juices from your moist succulent stuffed chicken from spilling into your clean oven. (go ahead, ask me how I know…)
- Heavy gauge skillet to cook sausage & sauté veggies. This helps to distribute the heat more evenly and prevent ingredients from burning.
Storing this stuffed chicken breast with stuffing recipe is simple, but there usually isn’t much left to store!
I like to divvy it up into single-serve portions that are ready to go for lunch or dinner.
The main thing is that your stuffed chicken breast with stuffing is stored in an airtight container with a secure lid. You could technically keep it in a large Ziploc, but you have to be careful not to lose your stuffing. (Travesty!!)
Can You Freeze This?
Go for it! That’s one of the beautiful things about this recipe. It’s also awesome for meal prep!!
You can freeze several pieces for a ready-made dinner or freeze individual pieces that you can grab one at a time. Defrost in the oven, and sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese for a crispy topping!
Meal Prepping Tips
As far as easy stuffed chicken recipes go, this stuffed chicken breast with stuffing recipe is super simple and PERFECT for meal prep!
You can prepare the stuffing and freeze it separately from the chicken breast — that way, when you’re ready to make your meal all you need to do is thaw the amount you need, stuff your chicken breasts and toss them in the oven.
Of course, you can also make the whole dish and freeze as stated above.
There are so many different mouth-watering things you can do with this recipe, it’s exciting!! To name a few…
Can I Use Different Types Of Cheese?
Yes, please! Just swap parm for your favorite cheese and you’ll be good to go!
Mozzarella stuffed chicken satisfies even the most finicky palates and they usually ask for seconds. Or, for a totally different type of stuffed chicken, check out my stuffed chicken parmesan that’s out of this world!
Adding cream cheese to your stuffing is a fantastic option that makes this stuffed chicken breast with stuffing recipe even more sensational than it already is (if that’s possible).
Another super yummy option is to coat your chicken breast in some of the grated parmesan. It adds a nice thin layer of cheesy crust to an already incredible recipe. You can also try using different types of hard cheeses or different types of spices.
Can I Make This Spicy?
If spice is your jam, then play a tune! Add some red pepper flakes to the stuffing or top it with some tasty jalapeno peppers. You can also take things in another direction and make fajita stuffed chicken or a spicy taco stuffed chicken with cheese.
How Can I Add More Greens?
Adding greens to this stuffed chicken breast with stuffing recipe is a sensational way to up the nutrition ante! Just chop, saute, and mix whatever you have on hand in with the filling ingredients listed below!
You can also make spinach artichoke stuffed chicken with an impressive flavor profile that’ll have people happy to eat their greens. For more sophisticated fare, create an asparagus stuffed chicken breast that is better than anything you’ll get in a restaurant.
Can I Use Other Cuts Of Chicken?
Oh yeah!! Stuffed chicken thighs are a thing of beauty. The thighs are actually my favorite cut on the chicken.
Stuffed chicken thighs stay so moist and juicy but there’s plenty of valuable real estate to fill. Really, just about any of the previous stuffing variations will work with the thighs too.
Can I Add Bacon?
Making bacon wrapped stuffed chicken could spoil other stuffed chicken recipes for you because everything’s better with bacon!
Putting just a little less stuffing in your stuffed chicken breast will give you room to wrap it securely in the salty savory loveliness that is bacon… and you’ll be glad you did.
Stuffed Chicken Breast With StuffingPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1/4 Cup Butter unsalted
- 12 Ounces Breakfast Sausage casings removed
- 1 Large Onion finely chopped
- 4 Celery Stalks finely chopped
- 2 Large Carrots finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup White Wine dry
- 1/4 Cup Parsley finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Sage finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Thyme finely chopped
- 2 1/2 Teaspoons Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 6 Chicken Breasts
- 1 Cup Parmesan grated
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and prep a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt butter in a large skillet.
- Brown the breakfast sausage in a large skillet over medium heat, and break up with a wooden spoon while it cooks.
- Remove sausage from the skilled and place it on a paper towel lined plate.
- Use a paper towel to clean the skillet of sausage grease.
- Melt butter in the skillet.
- Add chopped onions, carrots and celery. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cook in butter until they're soft and lightly browned (around 10 minutes).
- Add wine to skillet and bring to a boil. Cook until no wine is left — about 5 minutes.
- Add parsley, sage, thyme, and 1 ½ teaspoons of salt. Stir to combine.
- Create a pocket in each of your chicken breasts using a knife.
- Stuff each pocket with stuffing and a few spoonfuls of parmesan cheese.
- Place the chicken breasts on prepared baking sheet and into the oven. Cook for 35 minutes, or until the center of the thickest piece of chicken is no longer pink.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley and enjoy!
- You can stuff you chicken breast with whatever stuffing you’d prefer.
- Cover you chicken with gravy for an extra treat!
There are so many different ways to make stuffed chicken breast, you can pretty much find a flavor to satisfy everyone. Stuffed chicken breast is a delicacy that you’ll want to eat slowly.
It’ll make you sink down into your chair as you take the time to savor every tender morsel. It’s versatile, sophisticated and pretty easy to make too.
Here are some of my favorite stuffed chicken breast recipes for you to try.
- Spinach Stuffed Chicken
- Broccoli And Cheese Stuffed Chicken
- Lasagna Stuffed Chicken
- Italian Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken
Making stuffed chicken breast with stuffing is one of the most scrumptious low carb meals I can think of putting together. It’s great for special occasions, celebrations or when you just want something special.
Enjoy it as is, change up the stuffing, or smother it in gravy for an extra treat. Wrap it in bacon or pair it with a low carb side salad and some cauliflower rice for a meal you won’t soon forget.
This stuffed chicken breast with stuffing recipe is a delicious dish with a sophisticated presentation but it’s really simple to put together. Reach for it next time you want to serve something extraordinary!