What better way to start the day than with a big old slice of fresh spinach bacon quiche?
Because every ingredient in this spinach bacon quiche is craveworthy and delicious — from cheese to bacon to quiche crust, it doesn’t get much better than this delicious combo. Add spinach for some greens, and you’ve got a meal worth throwing a brunch for!
So turn on that oven and let’s make some spinach bacon quiche.
Spinach Bacon Quiche Recipe Tips
Spinach bacon quiche is SUPER easy to make, and is ridiculously delicious if you stick to these simple tips:
Cook the Veggies and Bacon
It may seem like a skippable step, but cooking the veggies and bacon help to release any excess liquid or grease. Skipping this step will result in a soggy spinach bacon quiche crust — and no one likes that. Plus, cooking aromatic veggies (such as the onions), leads to a smoother, slightly sweeter flavor! It’s a win win.
Sop up Any Extra Liquid
Once you’ve cooked the slices of bacon, transfer them to a paper towel lined plate. Same with the veggies — the less liquid and grease we pour into our quiche crust, the better.
Use the Bacon Grease
I love cooking my veggies in the bacon grease, it adds a nice, smoky flavor. To do this, use a heat safe mug and pour excess bacon fat into it while cooking the bacon. Before tossing the veggies in the pan, add just enough bacon fat to cook them down.
Care For Your Crust
Some crusts burn more easily than others. It’s important to watch for this, and if it starts to happen, add a ring of foil around the edges to protect the crust. I used my low carb pie crust for this spinach bacon quiche, and add foil for the last 15 minutes of baking.
Regular + Keto Quiche Variations
Since this keto quiche is about as simple as they come, you can mix and match to your heart’s desire. Don’t like spinach, swap it for another veggie! Not a fan of bacon? Try ham or pancetta instead! Just be sure to:
- Cook all meat and veggies before adding them to the spinach bacon quiche crust
- Stick to the same protein and veggie measurements used in the recipe below.
Swap the mozzarella for any meltable cheese you prefer — spinach bacon gruyere quiche perhaps? You can also get creative with various spices, such as Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, whatever you’d like!
If you’re looking for a healthy spinach bacon quiche that’s lower in calories, heavy cream can be swapped with whatever unsweetened milks you have on hand. I suggest low carb milks, such an regular almond milk. Many of you have asked about bacon spinach quiche with half and half, — I haven’t tried this, but if you do let us know in the comments below!
Turning This into a Crustless Spinach Quiche
Whether you hate dealing with pie crusts, or you’re looking for low carb recipes, crustless spinach quiche is a SUPER easy alternative! And it’s every bit as tasty.
To turn this spinach bacon quiche into a crustless alternative, follow the 2 important steps:
1. Use a Pie Pan For Your Crustless Quiche
Quiche/tart pans have a removable bottom — which is great when making traditional spinach bacon quiche, as it keeps the crust in tact and creates a beautiful edge. But without a crust, your crustless quiche will drip right through the edges of the pan. The simple solution is to use a pie pan for spinach bacon quiche crustless instead!
2. Cook Time For Crustless Quiche Recipe
When turning this into a crustless quiche recipe, you’ll want to adjust the bake time to about 20-25 minutes — you’ll know your spinach bacon quiche is done once the top becomes golden brown and the center is cooked through.
Spinach Bacon Quiche Recipe
Spinach quiche recipes start the day off right! I’m so excited to hear what you all think of this spinach bacon quiche recipe, let me know in the comments below.
Pst, if you’re looking for more spinach bacon quiche variations (such as low carb meal prep + cooking for a group), check out the information below the recipe! Enjoy!
Spinach Bacon Quiche
- Low Carb Pie Crust or whatever pie crust you’d prefer
- 3/4 Pound Sliced Bacon
- 10 Ounces Fresh Spinach
- 1 Cup White Onion chopped
- 1 Cup Mozzarella shredded
- 6 Large Eggs beaten
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 5 Dashes of Hot Sauce
- 1.5 Teaspoons Salt
- .5 Teaspoon Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Follow your pie crust baking instructions. Allow the crust to cool completely before adding any eggs.
- In a skillet, cook the bacon until it’s cooked through (this took me about 8 to 10 minutes). Remove the bacon from the pan and place it on paper towels to drain.
- Remove most of the bacon fat, leaving about 2 Tablespoons in the pan to cook the veggies.
- Add onion to skillet and cook until translucent (about 5 to 7 minutes).
- Add the spinach to the skillet and cook until wilted.
- Place cooked veggies on paper towels to collect any access liquid.
- Dice the bacon.
- Add bacon, onions and spinach to the pie crust.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs.
- Add the cream, hot sauce, salt, pepper, and cheese. Stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into the pie crust.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until it’s cooked through. You’ll know the quiche is done when the top begins to brown.
- Allow quiche to cool slightly before serving.
- How to Cut Some Carbs: leave out the onion or make this a crustless quiche.
- Spinach bacon quiche can be made without the low carb pie crust, just cook it in a pie pan instead of a quiche pan for 20-25 minutes, or until it’s cooked through.
- Great breakfast for low carb meal prep! Can be frozen, defrost by baking on a sheet in the oven.
©Little Pine Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media/website/blod is strictly prohibited.
Low Carb Quiche Recipe Variations for Skipping the Crust
Skipping the crust allows you to pour this delicious low carb quiche filling into whatever oven safe container you’d like — which is great for meal prep, or baking spinach bacon quiche for a large group of people. Here are some tips I’ve gathered along the way:
1. Meal Prep + Make Crustless Mini Quiche
Make a batch of adorable crustless mini quiche using a muffin tin and some cooking spray. Follow the instructions in the included recipe, then pour your spinach bacon quiche mixture into the prepared muffin tin tray and bake away.
This makes for great meal prep: after allowing your mini spinach bacon quiche to cool in the fridge overnight, place them in a resealable bag and into the freezer. Reheat your frozen spinach bacon quiche recipe in the oven for many breakfasts to come!
2. Baking For a Group? Low Carb Breakfast Casserole it is!
Instead of dealing with dozens of pie pans, transfer a double batch of this spinach bacon quiche mixture into a greased 9×13 pan for a super delicious low carb breakfast casserole!
This is another way to meal prep spinach bacon quiche — after allowing it to cool, place sliced portions into individual resealable bags and in the freezer.
Looking for more crustless quiche recipes?
I’m all about crustless quiche recipes, if you can’t tell 🙂 Check out my collection of delicious variations!