Quick, easy, low carb, and totally slurp-worthy, THIS spaghetti squash pad thai is all that!
If ya’ll think noodles are off the menu, think again. Spaghetti squash twists, twirls, and acts just like traditional noodles, without all the gluten and carbs.
Slice it, bake it, smother it in a delectable low carb pad thai sauce and douse it with herbs. Let’s cook!
What’s not to love about a low carb pasta version of pad thai?! Here’s what to expect before diving in:
- Minimal effort
- No post-noodle-eating food coma
- Versatile (suggestions below!)
I love making this spaghetti squash pad thai on busy nights when the last thing I have time for is cooking because it basically cooks itself! Expect about 15 minutes over the stove to cook the veggies and chicken. Aside from that? Let the oven do the heavy lifting.
Here are a few tricks before you dive in:
- Rest spaghetti squash on a paper towel-lined plate — this will help absorb as much liquid from this WET veggie as possible and prevent it from watering down the sauce. Feel free to toss a few extra paper towels on top as well to get your noodles as dry as possible. This is what makes spaghetti squash recipes tasty!
- All spaghetti squashes are different sizes. I used a small spaghetti squash, and my sauce to noodle ratio was on point! If you’re working with a big boy, add less of the noodles.
- Slicing your chicken nice and thin. Place chicken in the freezer for 15 minutes before you plan to slice it. It makes it SO EASY to get thin, even slices!
- Fry screens are your friend! Hot oil + wet chicken = splatter, mess, and potential oil burns.
Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container, without the toppings. Reheat, THEN cover your bowl of spaghetti squash pad thai in toppings to maximize their freshness.
As promised, this spaghetti squash pad thai is super versatile! Here are a few ways you can add your spin to things:
- Make a vegetarian pad thai by skipping the chicken! Or a vegan pad thai by skipping both the chicken and eggs. You’ll also want to opt for a vegan fish sauce (made from shiitake mushrooms).
- Try different noodles, such as spiralized veggies (carrots, squash, zucchini), or miracle noodles.
- Use a different kind of meat. Thinly sliced beef or shrimp would both be delicious.
Spaghetti Squash Pad ThaiPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 Small Spaghetti Squash
- 2 Tablespoon Mild Tasting Oil (see notes below)
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 Cup Scallions diced
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Pound Chicken Breast sliced into strips
For the sauce:
- 3 Tablespoons Fresh Lime Juice
- 2 Tablespoon Fish Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Sriracha
- 1 Tablespoon Swerve or Lakanto (see sweetener notes below) confectioners. Can sub for sweetener of choice
- Fresh Cilantro chopped
- Roasted Peanuts roughly chopped
- Green Onions
- Spaghetti Squash. Preheat oven to 400 F. Slice spaghetti squash (1 small in size) in half and brush each half with oil. Place cut side down on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes -- you'll know your squash is done once the squash is fork-tender. Allow the squash to cool, then slice in half and remove the seeds with a spoon. Run a fork through the flesh of the spaghetti squash to form "noodles". Place spaghetti squash noodles on a paper towel-lined plate, and place paper towels on top. Set aside while we prep the rest:
- Sauce. Mix ingredient for the sauce in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Chicken. Heat oil (2 tablespoons) in a large pan over medium-high heat. Once shimmering, add the chicken (1 Pound). Give it a stir so the pieces don't stick together. Cook chicken until no longer pink in the center -- about 4-5 minutes on each side. If you have one, a fryer screen is suuuper helpful here! Place cooked chicken on a plate and set aside.
- Aromatics + eggs. If there's no more oil left in the pan, add an additional tablespoon, and reduce the heat to medium. Add minced garlic (2 cloves) and diced scallions ( 1 cup), and saute until fragrant (about 2-3 minutes). Add eggs (4) and scramble, breaking them into small pieces as they cook.
- Assemble. Add sauce, chicken, and spaghetti squash back to the pan, and stir to coat. Continue to cook until the dish is heated through. Scoop up a serving, cover with toppings, and twirl/slurp away!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Rest spaghetti squash on a paper towel-lined plate. Don't skip! We want to remove as much liquid as possible so we don't water down out sauce.
- Use a small squash, or fewer noodles from a bigger squash to get the noodle to sauce ratio just right.
- Slicing the chicken. Toss in the freezer for 15 minutes before slicing.
- Mild Tasting Oil. You want an oil with a high smoke point and mild flavor -- think avocado, vegetable, safflower, sunflower, peanut. Skip EVOO, coconut, or sesame oil.