Soul bread is one of the most popular low carb bread recipes out there and for good reason!
It bakes up nice and fluffy with crispy edges that just beg for butter.
Best news is? Unlike my almond flour bread, it’s completely flour and low carb flour free! Making it a great way to diversify your low carb lunches, toasts, and sides.
Your minutes away from a FLUFFY, soft, loaf of bread. Let’s start!
*NOTE: This is not my original recipe, rather a variation of the traditional version, and my personal review.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email below and we'll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you'll get great new recipes from us every week!
I absolutely love that this soul bread is so incredibly rich and decadent. It fills that hole in my heart where bread used to be before going low carb. AND it’s…
- Ready in under an hour with just 10 minutes of prep.
- Warm, fluffy, and here to curb your bread cravings.
- Super low carb and there are 7 grams of protein per serving
This recipe is suuuper easy, here’s everything you need to know:
Whey Protein Powder – This ingredient makes ALL the difference! For lack of a better description, whey protein powder makes soul bread more “bread-like”. Adding a bit of fluff, while giving it the same structure as wheat bread.
You’ll want to grab an unflavored keto protein powder.
I’ve tested this soul bread with both ISO Pure and True Athlete brands, which is important to note, as not all protein powders work here.
Xanthan Gum – Xanthan gum is a binder and stabilizer that can be used to replace gluten. Don’t skip it!
Cream Cheese + Butter – You can soften these in the microwave, or leave them on the counter for 1 hour before making this recipe.
Baking Soda + Powder – YES, you want to use both. Both are leavening agents that leaven differently — to maximize your bread’s fluff.
Tools To Make
Only a few simple tools to throw this soul bread recipe together – nothing complicated at all…
- 9″ bread pan to bake your bread in
- 2 large bowls for mixing wet and dry ingredients
- Stick blender or hand mixer for mixing wet ingredients
Can You Freeze This?
Yes!! This soul bread recipe freezes (and thaws) very nicely. Actually, many bread recipes do.
If you don’t eat bread very often, you can freeze individual slices and pull them out one or two at a time. I toast them from frozen, or you can microwave them for a couple of seconds.
How to Eat This Bread
There are SO many ways to serve this soul bread recipe, such as:
- Keto sandwich bread for sliced meat and cheese.
- Toast for avocado and a soft boiled egg, pb&j or your favorite jelly and butter
- Treat it like a keto bagel with a dollop of cream cheese and lox
This soul bread recipe is quite popular and even has its own Facebook group. (Yeah, a FB group dedicated to bread!) People have tried all sorts of things with this amazing recipe as a base.
Here are some inspiring recipe ideas:
- Make a sweet version by simply adding some sweetener into the mix. Maybe cinnamon? Maybe a streusel topping? Check out my low carb coffee cake for some ideas.
- Speaking of a sweet version, why not add some fruit while you’re at it!? We love blueberries (ala low carb blueberry muffins). You can also add banana extract for a keto banana bread.
- Turn this bread into muffins by simply pouring the batter into a greased muffin tin pan, and baking for 25-35 minutes.
- Add some toppings: keto nuts and seeds, sliced jalapenos, cheddar, you name it!
- Make different types of bread with this recipe as your base, such as low carb hamburger buns, dinner rolls, and even low carb pizza crust. I haven’t tested any of the variations (but have seen it done!). Since the dough is pretty “wet”, you’ll want to pour the dough into ramekins or a pie pan.
Making low carb bread opens so many doors! Even people who don’t eat a ton of bread tend to miss it when they go low carb. I know I did! Here are some more recipes to try:
Soul BreadPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- Preheat oven to 325 F and prepare a 9" bread pan with cooking spray.
- Soften cream cheese (12 ounces) and unsalted melted butter (1/4 cup) (this can be done in the microwave using 30 second intervals).
- Add cream cheese, butter, olive oil (1/4 cup), heavy cream (1/4 cup) and eggs (4) to a large bowl and blend using a stick blender until everything is well combined.
- In a second bowl mix the whey protein powder (1 2/3 cup), baking soda (1/3 teaspoon), baking powder (2 1/2 teaspoon ), xanthan gum (1 teaspoon) and salt (1/2 teaspoon).
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir by hand just enough for the ingredients to combine (don't over stir!).
- Pour batter into greased bread pan and bake for 45 minutes. You'll know the bread is done when a knife inserted in the center comes out clean and the top is golden brown.
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Recipe slightly adapted from Atkins and LCHF - The Road to Success FB group
- Xanthan Gum is necessary for binding the ingredients of this recipe together, you CAN'T SKIP OR SUB!
- Nutritional information is for 1 slice, if you slice this bread into 16 slices: