When it comes to sophisticated yet easy to make appetizers, few things can match the tastiness of this creamy, flavorful smoked salmon dip. It’s also amazing slathered on a bagel or piece of toast! Here’s everything you need to know.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email below and we’ll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you’ll get great new recipes from us every week!
Ingredients for Salmon Dip
Creating a delightful smoked salmon dip requires a handful of key ingredients:
- The Smoked Salmon: The star of the show, providing a rich, smoky flavor. Just roughly chop for easy incorporation.
- The Base: Cream cheese, greek yogurt, and mayo add a creamy texture and a hint of tanginess to balance the smokiness of the salmon. My fave brand of cream cheese is Philadelphia.
- The Herbs: Fresh dill and green onions offer a delightful herbaceous note that pairs beautifully with the salmon.
- Everything Else: Capers add a bit of briny flavor, while Tabasco rounds out the cream sauce’s flavor. A bit of lemon juice adds a delicious fresh zing.
Tweaks + Substitutes
We absolutely love this dish as is, but it’s easy to tweak to suit your preferences. Here’s how:
- Creamy Subs: Substitute part or all of the Greek yogurt with mayonnaise or sour cream.
- Herb Subs: Experiment with other herbs like parsley or red onions for a different flavor profile.
- Spice Subs: A pinch of smoked paprika can complement the smoky salmon flavor.
How to Make Smoked Salmon Dip
Totally painless and easy, here’s how to make this dip!
- Prepare the base: In a food processor combine the base ingredients3 until creamy.
- Add everything else and pulse just a few times to incorporate.
This versatile smoked salmon dip pairs wonderfully with just about everything, including:
- Crackers or Crostini: Spread the dip on crackers or toasted bread for a delightful appetizer.
- Fresh Vegetable Crudites: Serve with sliced cucumbers, bell peppers, or carrots for a refreshing contrast.
- Bagels or Toast Bread: Enjoy the dip on a toasted bagel or bread slices for a satisfying breakfast or brunch addition.
If by any chance you have leftover smoked salmon dip, consider these creative uses:
- Stuffed vegetables: Fill hollowed-out cherry tomatoes or make stuffed mini peppers or stuffed mushrooms with the dip for a flavorful snack or app.
- Pasta topping: Use it as a creamy sauce for pasta dishes by mixing it into warm pasta, spaghetti squash, or zucchini noodles for a quick and delicious meal.
- Serve it as a sauce: You can drizzle it over baked salmon/roasted vegetables, or whatever you’re serving for dinner. You can also use it to make stuffed chicken breast.
More Smoked Salmon Recipes
Smoked Salmon DipPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 8 ounces cream cheese cut into blocks
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoons capers drained
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco
- 6 ounces smoked salmon chopped roughly
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh green onions chopped
- sliced veggies, crackers, toasted bagels, bagel chips, etc.
- In a food processor, combine cream cheese, Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, capers, black pepper, and Tabasco, and blend until smooth, occasionally scraping down the sides to incorporate everything.
- Add the salmon, dill, and green onions, and pulse 5 times, or until the ingredients blend together.
- Serve immediately, or store in the fridge, and allow it to warm slightly on the counter before serving. Enjoy!