This smashed brussel sprouts recipe is here to change the game on the veggie everyone loves to hate! This cheesy, decadent dish makes other low carb side dishes green with envy over it’s complex flavor!
Who knew healthy recipes could taste this good??
This is one of those low carb recipes that will be a go-to for every dinner party you throw. Serve this, and you’ll be known as the one with the low carb thanksgiving recipe that look like they’re out of a magazine, taste heavenly, and are good for you, too! It’s a winner all around.
Let’s dive in!
Everything about this smashed brussel sprouts recipe is amazing:
- It takes a well-known but less trusted veggie and makes it the delicious star!
- 5 ingredients, plus a few basic spices and you are done!
- Ready in under an hour!
This recipe is easy, peasy – I mean, they’re SMASHED brussel sprouts! You totally got this! But really, here are a few tips.
Maybe some of these veggies are new to you:
Brussel sprouts – The most grown-up of all the veggies, these appear and taste just like little cabbages! Packed with nutrients, fiber and, Omega-3’s, these superstar veggies are great for you! Look for bright green, small heads for the best flavor.
Leeks – Leeks are similar to onions and garlic, but get sweet and creamy when cooked. Filled with antioxidants and vitamins A, C, and K, plus lots of fiber. Choose firm, fresh leeks with as much white as possible. That’s the part you need! Slice off the leaves then cut the stalk in half, and slice thinly into half-moons.
Parmesan – My personal favorite of the cheeses, this hard cheese adds amazing flavor to this dish. For this smashed brussel sprouts recipe, get the grated version so that it easily and evenly coats the sprouts.
Tools To Make
- Steamer – this nifty tool lets you cook and soften your sprouts with indirect heat through steam. Fill a pot with enough water to not touch the steamer, then place the tray in the pot. Pile your sprouts on top, cover with a lid, and bring the water to a boil to fill the pot with a nice sauna for your little green gems.
- Colander – this hole-y bowl will let your brussel sprouts drain while you get ready to bake.
- Rimmed baking sheet – also called a jelly roll pan, this rimmed sheet will keep your veggies in place while baking.
You can store this smashed brussel sprouts recipe in an airtight container in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to heat them up, just pop them back onto a tray in the oven or toaster oven for maximum crispiness. In a pinch, you can use the microwave instead.
Can You Freeze This?
You certainly can! Store in a freezer bag, or an airtight container to better protect their shape if your freezer is full. When ready to eat, thaw in the fridge, then heat in the microwave, toaster oven, or oven.
Meal Prepping Tips
This recipe makes 12 servings, so unless you’re serving a crowd, it’s great for meal prepping. Serve alongside your regular dinner, then store the leftovers in individual containers to get some awesome protein and fat into your daily macros!
Looking to make your own family favorite version of this smashed brussel sprouts recipe? Check out these healthy side dishes tips!
- Add bacon. While your sprouts are steaming, fry up some bacon in a pan. Chop it up, and add it and the fat in place of your olive oil to the rest of the ingredients. Brussel sprouts with bacon are too good to resist!
- Add more low carb vegetables. Add shredded cabbage to this smashed brussel sprouts recipe to really amp up the flavor. For other healthy sides, try this creamy low carb green bean casserole!
- Make them crispy. This smashed brussel sprouts recipe will get nice and crispy in the oven, but if you want even more crunch you could broil them at the end for about 4-5 minutes.
- Try different kind of low carb cheese. The parmesan in this dish adds a nice kick of salt, but you could also try mozzarella or feta for some great flavor.
Smashed Brussel SproutsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Pounds Brussels Sprouts
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- 3 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Large Leek white and pale green parts only, washed well and thinly sliced
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan grated
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Trim the bottom of the brussel sprouts and discard yellow leaves.
- Steam the brussel sprouts for about 20-25 minutes, or until they’re tender.
- Allow brussels to drain in a colander while you prep the remaining ingredients.
- In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Add brussel sprouts, leeks, and toss to coat evenly.
- Spread brussel sprouts out onto a rimmed baking sheet. You want to leave room between the brussels as we’ll be “smashing” them — you may need to spread them out onto 2 baking sheets.
- Use a small mason jar (or cup), to press the brussel sprouts into flat patties.
- Cover brussel sprouts with parmesan.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
Looking to add some more recipes alongside this smashed brussel sprouts recipe? I have you totally set for a perfect, low carb thanksgiving!
- Low Carb Pumpkin Pie
- Cauliflower Stuffing
- Low Carb Gravy
- Low Carb Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Low Carb Apple Pie
You’re going to be obsessed with this mouthwatering smashed brussel sprouts recipe! Comment below and let us know what you think! Enjoy!