This keto taco salad is the perfect salad for people who don’t like greens…
Because it’s so full of delicious and flavorful toppings, there’s hardly any room for lettuce. Cheese, avocado, black olives and juicy meat — the best low carb foods thrown in a bowl and covered in dressing.
Keto taco salad is easy to meal prep and loved by all — so let’s do this thing!
How Do I Make Keto Taco Salad
You’re gonna love how easy this keto taco salad is to throw together — just chop up the low carb Mexican food ingredients you love and toss it all together!
Most ingredients in this recipe are self explanatory — but I wanted to point out that many taco seasonings are full of sugar or cornstarch! So instead of grabbing some from the store, try whipping up your own with a handful of common herbs and spices:
Low Carb Taco Seasoning
Low carb taco seasoning is a spice mix I simply can’t live without. I make a big batch and store it in a labeled jar so it’s always ready. This blend of zesty seasonings can turn a handful of low carb recipes from meh to amazing with a simple sprinkle!
I know it’s always tempting to skip the extra step — but don’t skip the low carb taco seasoning! It’ll give the meat in your keto taco salad that saucy, rich and moist flavor we all love!
Approved Low Carb Tacos Toppings
If you’re feeling creative and want to get wild with some low carb tacos toppings, then by all means! Here’s a list of approved low carb shopping list items for you to toss in:
- Meat, chicken, ground beef, ground turkey, you name it!
- Low carb taco seasoning, again be leary of store bought products
- Low carb vegetables. Lettuce, tomatoes, and red onions add a ton of flavor!
- Fresh herbs, mint and cilantro.
- Cheese! If you’re going for the rainbow effect, use cheddar — although I prefer pepper jack in my keto taco salad!
- Black olives
- Avocados. Instead of avocados I use my favorite avocado sauce, for some of that cilantro, garlic and sour cream action!
- Low carb nuts. Pepitas add a nice crunch and a decent amount of protein.
- Low carb salad dressing. Make your own (like this delicious keto ranch dressing), or read the label of store bought dressings to be sure it works with your carb goals.
Skip These Not So Keto Tacos Toppings
You probably already know the not so keto tacos toppings to skip, but incase you need a refresher, here are the high carb foods we’ll want to avoid:
- Taco Seasoning — if using store bought, watch out for cornstarch and sugar on the ingredient list!
Low Carb Taco Salad Variations:
Mexican food is delicious, anyway you package it! If you’re bored with eating it as low carb taco salad, try some of these variations to spice up your low carb meal plan:
1. Adding Cheese Taco Shells
Since there are hardly any carbs in cheese, your favorite gooey treat can be melted into crunchy cheese taco shells! Similar to making cheese chips, form taco sized mounds of cheese on a baking sheet and crips up before layer with your keto taco salad ingredients.
2. Low Carb Taco Shells Chips
Alternatively, you can top your keto taco salad with a nice crunch of low carb taco shells chips. Same concept as above — use a pizza cutter to cut the melted cheese into thin strips.
3. Spicy Keto Taco Seasoning
If you’re looking for some extra heat, get creative with your keto taco seasoning. Add more chili powder or red pepper flakes, heck work with some cayenne pepper instead! Your keto taco salad, your seasoning.
Meal Prepping These Keto Taco Shells
Are you ready to make your coworkers super jealous? Then here’s an idea — layers this keto taco salad in a clear mason jar, for a colorful rainbow of taco ingredients without the keto taco shells!
Package the dressing in a separate container, or place it on the bottom so the salad doesn’t get soggy. If you go too crazy with the toppings (like I do), bring a bag of lettuce and toss it all together in a bowl for lunch!
In less than 10 minutes, you’ll have awesome low carb meal prep for the whole workweek! If you have leftover meat, toss it in a labeled, resealable bag and into the freezer for future low carb salads.
Keto Taco Salad Recipe
Let’s get shaking with this ridiculously delicious keto taco salad recipe! Let me know whatcha think in the comments below — Did you try any variations? How fantastic is this as meal prep??
Meal Prep Keto Taco Salad
- 1 Lb Ground Beef
- 3 Tablespoons Low Carb Taco Seasoning , can use whatever taco seasoning you'd prefer
- 2/3 Cup Water
- 1 Head of Lettuce , chopped (about 6 cups torn)
- 3/4 Cup Red Onion , diced
- 1 1/2 Cups Cherry Tomatoes , cut in half
- 1/2 Cup Black Olives , halved
- 2 Cups Cheddar , shredded
- Guacamole , can sub for avocado
Brown beef to large pan and break up with a wooden spoon. Cook until no longer pink, then remove meat and place on a paper towel lined plate to absorb grease.
Remove excess grease from pan.
Add meat back to pan, with low carb taco seasoning and water and simmer (uncovered) for 15 minutes. Set pan aside and allow it to cool.
If you’re serving this as a salad to eat immediately, place all ingredients in a large bowl. Once meat has cooled, add to the top and enjoy!
If you’re meal prepping this, add a layer of each topping to a mason jar (I was able to make 4 salad jars with these ingredients), adding the meat only once it has cooled completely. I went in this order: avocado sauce, meat, red onions, tomatoes, black olives, cheddar and lettuce). Enjoy!
- Use whatever meal prep containers you have on hand!
- Be sure to add sauce to the bottom, otherwise the lettuce will become soggy.
- If you’re looking for more protein, double the meat/seasoning/water and back a resealable bag of lettuce to serve the salad toppings over.
©TheLittlePine.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Nutrition information will vary based on the specific products. To be safe, check the nutrition facts labels of your products. Optional object listed above have been left out of nutritional data.
Can’t Get Enough Mexican food? Me neither, you might also like…
Guide to Ordering Low Carb Taco Bell
There are few things more delicious than low carb Taco Bell — which can be hard to find in the sea of chalupas and crunch wraps — but once you know what to order, you’ll never look back — and in a pinch, TB is always there for you! Stay on track with this guide.