It’s finally starting to cool down and I’m filling my fridge with ingredients for low carb soup recipes like this heavenly low carb vegetable soup recipe!
Everyone needs a veggie soup in the recipe collection, us low carb-ers included. And with this low carb recipes variation, you’ll NEVER miss Grandma’s high carb take on the dish!
When it comes to low carb lunch ideas, this colorful soup is an amazing way to get a giant dose of veggies in one warm, soothing bowl. Serve it as low carb side dishes OR customize this vegetable soup by adding in your favorite protein! This hearty, comforting meal is going to be your new go-to!
Let’s dive in!
This low carb vegetable soup recipe is one of those amazing low carb vegetarian recipes because:
- Almost all of the time spent on this recipe is cook time! Simply add the veggies, and wait for them all to cook down!
- So many nutrients packed into one warm and delicious bowl!
- Full-bodied and satisfying – this veggie soup is perfect for a cool night!
This recipe is simple and fast – great for seasoned cooks or newbies!
Here’s what you should know about this low carb vegetable soup recipe ingredients:
Leeks – have you used these yummy low carb vegetables? This herby, fresh, slightly onion-like plant is amazing in all sorts of dishes! You want just the white part, so slice off the thick green leaves.
Kosher salt – this large crystal salt is called Kosher because its useful for preparing foods according to Jewish guidelines. It’s got great texture and is easily pinchable. There is generally less per teaspoon than table salt, so swap accordingly.
Turnips – this other low carb veggie is made mostly of water, and packed with nutrients like fiber and vitamin c! It tastes and feels a lot like a potato. Peel these with a vegetable peeler and dice it into small cubes.
Tools To Make
- Veggie Peelers – For your carrots and turnips, you’ll want a sturdy vegetable peeler. You can also use a paring knife, but it takes some practice to not waste most of your veggie.
- 1 large pot – a good heavy bottom pot is your main cooking tool here. Get one with a well fitting lid to let this meal steam while it cooks.
This low carb vegetable soup recipe is fast and easy healthy lunch ideas great for feeding a crowd. If you do have leftovers, simply store in the fridge in an airtight container. Easy healthy dinner ideas!
Can You Freeze This?
Go ahead and freeze this low carb vegetable soup recipe to break out on a rainy day! Portion out and freeze flat in freezer bags.
To reheat, let the soup thaw in the refrigerator, then warm it up on the stove or in the microwave. Dinner is served!
Meal Prepping Tips
This dish is amazing for meal prepping – 8 comforting, filling servings are right at your fingertips! Spoon this low carb vegetable soup recipe into individual containers and refrigerator or freeze until you’re ready to eat!
Serve it as a side dish for low carb dinners, or add some protein to it for a more complete meal!
Have some ingredients you’re looking to use up? Check out some variations on this mouth-watering low carb vegetable soup recipe!
- Add Cheese. We love sprinkling the top of this low carb vegetable soup recipe with some freshly grated parmesan. You can also mix in your favorite melted variety! Cheddar cheese anyone? (Think low carb broccoli cheese soup with a different set of veggies).
- Make this soup creamy. Heavy cream or cream cheese are easy and delicious solutions. You’ll want to add either in towards the end, as these ingredients won’t benefit from simmering. OR! To keep this soup dairy-free and totally veggie-based, consider squash! Think summer squash soup, butternut squash soup or pumpkin soup!
- Add some spice. Mix in your favorite bringer of heat to enhance the spice factor! Think, jalapenos, paprika, tabasco, cayenne pepper, you name it! Whatever you’d put in your low carb chili will be delicious here. For a veggie-based take on low carb taco soup, sub 1 can of tomatoes for 1 can of salsa.
- Add some meat. Just be sure to cook any meat before adding it in. Some of my favorite additions to this meal are leftover chicken (for a suuuper veggie packed low carb chicken soup), or cubed beef (think low carb beef stew).
Low Carb Vegetable SoupPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Chopped Leeks white part only (about 3 leeks depending on the size)
- 1 Cup Carrots peeled and chopped into rounds
- 2 Tablespoons Garlic minced
- 1 Teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Pepper
- 2 Cups Turnips* peeled and diced. Substitute for cauliflower if you'd prefer.
- 2 Cups Green Beans fresh, trimmed + cut into 1" pieces
- 2 Quarts Vegetable Broth or chicken broth if not vegetarian
- 2 14.5 Oz Cans Canned Diced Tomatoes no salt added
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Parsley chopped
- 2 Teaspoons Lemon Juice
- 1 Lemon Peel minced
- In a heavy bottom stockpot (I use an 8 quart), heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Once shimmering, add leeks, carrots, salt and pepper. Saute until soft (about 8 minutes).
- Add the garlic and saute for another 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Stir in turnips and green beans, and saute until the veggies begin to soften (about 5 minutes).
- Add stock and diced tomatoes to the pot, and bring the soup to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook the soup for 30-35 minutes. This can vary depending on your simmer, the heat, and the thickness of your pan -- you'll know your soup is done when the veggies are fork-tender. (It's better to remove them from heat before they get too tender, no one wants soggy veggies in their soup!)
- Remove from heat, and stir in the lemon juice, lemon peel, and parsley.
- Taste seasoning and add more salt if desired (I always add an additional 2 teaspoons).
- Divide into bowls, and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
Want even more healthy soup recipes? I don’t blame you! Try these:
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Roasted Red Pepper Soup
- Roasted Tomato Soup
- Low Carb Tomato Soup
- Chicken Florentine Soup
You’re going to adore this delish low carb vegetable soup recipe! Comment below with your favorite soup side dish or topping!