Just hearing the words low carb pizza casserole gets me excited INSTANTLY!
Now I know what you’re thinking, ‘healthy pizza!?” But hear me out… it is healthy but it’s also BOMB-diggity (oh ya, I just brought that back…). Because there’s no food as nostalgic as pizza… or a casserole for that matter! And what can beat combining both culinary delights?!
That said, traditionally, both of those foods bring comfort ANDDD, loads of carbs…
But fear not, this is one of my famous healthy recipes for low carb dinners that’s packed with flavor! Low carb casseroles are a fan favorite and a go-to for pizza party low carb recipes.
Trust me when I tell you, you’re going to LOVE this one! Ready to find out why??
If I had to name a just few reasons to fall in love with this low carb pizza casserole…
- It’s as if a PIZZA and a CASSEROLE had a baby and out came the low carb pizza casserole! How could I not want to eat a piece of that?!
- This is amazing to make for yourself (freeze the leftovers) or for a group! It’s soooo comforting too, everyone will gravitate towards it.
- Throw all the ingredients into the casserole dish, pop it in the oven and eat within 35 minutes! (Try to wait a couple minutes so as not to burn your tongue though! That is the worst!)
- Customize this bad boy! I love recipes that’re versatile to meet your needs of what you already have on hand without an extra trip to the store for that one thing!
- This dish is free from all the yuckies: grain-free, gluten-free, crust-free and drama-free! It couldn’t be any easier to make!
Here’s everything you need to know to be making and baking your very own low carb pizza casserole in no time at all!
Tools To Make
- A zoodle slicer to turn the zucchini into zucchini noodles (= zoodles). You can also buy the zucchini noodles premade at your local grocery store. (I see them in Trader Joe’s all the time.) Orrrr, just use a cheese grater and grate the zucchini, it’s every bit as delicious!
- A colander to strain the liquid out of the zucchini. If you don’t have one, no worries, you can just put the zucchini in a bowl to drain the liquid out. Just be sure to give it a good squeeze!
- A skillet pan to brown the meat
- A 9 x 13 casserole dish for baking the low carb pizza casserole in
Store any leftovers in the fridge and eat within 3 to 4 days or freeze to enjoy later on.
Can You Freeze This?
Absolutely! I love to have a low carb frozen pizza in my freezer for those days I don’t feel like cooking. Having a low carb pizza casserole ready to go is even better!
Be sure that you put the low carb pizza casserole in a freezer friendly dish for optimal freshness (I LOVE using small resealable baggies for this). Thaw in your fridge the night before you want to eat it and bake in the oven until it’s heated through.
Low Carb Dinner Meal Prepping Tips
I’m a meal prepping queen who loves to think ahead so I can put my feet up later! You can easily prepare your low carb pizza casserole the morning of (before you go to work) and leave it covered in the fridge for low carb dinners with no additional work!
This dish makes for amazing leftovers during busy workweeks!
As always, check out all these recipe variations to make this healthy pizza work for your healthy dinners…
Can I Skip The Low Carb Pizza Crust?
You’re in luck because this recipe already skips the low carb pizza crust! I love a crustless pizza and this recipe proves that you don’t need to have crust on your low carb pizza casserole for it to be memorably delicious!!
Can I Use A Different Crust?
Yes, you can totally experiment with different crusts. In fact, I encourage a low carb pizza casserole crust taste test! You may be surprised which ones end up being your favorites. Just because it’s low carb, definitely doesn’t mean it is low fun! Bring on the pizza party!
A couple different options to try: almond flour pizza crust, coconut flour pizza crust, and the current craze seen everywhere, cauliflower pizza crust. Just know that these options will not always 100% replicate traditional dough, but that’s nothing some delicious toppings can’t make better!
I do loveeeee to make fathead pizza (made with cream cheese, egg, low carb flour and mozzarella). I’ve found it to be insanely close to tasting like the “real stuff”. Try it and let me know if you think it matches up!
All of the above are gluten-free, Keto friendly, low carb and won’t leave you feeling stuffed the way traditional pizza dough does. Pigging out on low carb pizza casserole and not feeling terrible afterwards?! I’m living the dream, baby!
How Can I Add More Protein?
Of course, you could add additional meat to your low carb pizza casserole to amp up the protein, but here are two fun ways that you might not have tried yet…meat crusts!
I love a meat-eaters pizza and if you’re craving extra protein, MEATZA is right up your pizza alley. What’s a meatza you say?
Only the best ‘za solution for people like us who live the low-carb, paleo, Keto lifestyle (looking at you too, gluten-intolerant folks!). Metza is basically the same as a traditional pizza but with a crust made out of ground beef. Yes, you heard that right, A CRUST MADE OUT OF GROUND BEEF. It fills you up and packs in the protein.
If you aren’t feeling red meat, but still want some animal protein, another awesome option is a chicken crust pizza. Same concept, different animal. Substitute the ground beef for ground chicken and you’re in chicken crust pizza making business!
I think these crusts are pure genius and so fun to have your friends and family try out.
What Other Veggies Can I Add?
Add any and all veggies to your heart’s delight! A couple of my personal faves that bring alllllllll the vegetarian PIZZA PIZZAZZ are classics like the: portobello mushroom pizza, eggplant pizza or zucchini pizza.
You literally can’t go wrong with any of these. Be crazy and bring on the heat by adding some jalapenos or make it savory with cremini mushrooms. Clean out your fridge, use all the veg or none. You do you!
Low Carb Pizza Casserole
- 5 Cups Zucchini Noodles*
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Lb Italian Sausage
- 1 Cup Red Onion chopped
- 1 Bell Pepper chopped
- 1/2 Cup Black Olives
- 16 Ounces Low Carb Pizza Sauce**
- 15 Pepperoni slices
- 2 Cups Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Place zucchini noodles in a colander and toss in salt. Allow them to sit for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, place them in a clean kitchen towel and gently ring out any additional liquid.
- Meanwhile, cook the Italian sausage until brown, breaking up with the tip of a wooden spoon as it cooks.
- Allow cooked sausage the drain excess grease on a paper towel lined plate.
- Add zucchini noodles, sausage, onions, bell peppers, olives, and pasta sauce to a 9x13 casserole dish and toss to combine.
- Sprinkle the top with cheese and pepperonis.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the top become golden brown.
- Allow casserole to cool slightly before slicing, and enjoy!
Can’t get enough low carb pizza?! Me neither, check these out for more pizza inspiration:
- No Crust Pizza
- Cloud Bread Pizza
- Zucchini Pizza Bites
- Cauliflower Pizza Bites
- Spaghetti Squash Pizza
I hope you enjoy this low carb pizza casserole recipe! Comment below if you made the recipe crustless or with one of the meat crusts! Either way, I hope you enjoyed it!