What is a low carb onion bomb you ask??
It’s all your favorite low carb recipes ingredients wrapped into one perfectly portioned meal — I’m talking about a suuuper juicy burger, stuffed with cheddar cheese, baked inside an onion, then wrapped in bacon…
I mean, WOW, right?! Your low carb dinners just got exciting again.
And despite how mouth-wateringly delicious this low carb ground beef recipes ingredient list is, it’s SHOCKINGLY easy to make! You’ll want to do this to allll your low carb meatballs, burgers, and chicken recipes moving forward.
So, without further ado…
Seriously, guys, what’s not to love:
- SO.MUCH.FLAVOR. Have you ever seen a tastier list of ingredients?!
- 3g net carbs per low carb onion bomb. Scoreeee!
- Only 15 minutes of prep here people! Then you’ll toss everything in the oven, and allow the magic to happen.
- Great for meal prep. We love these filling and satiating meals stuffed inside an onion because they’re portioned out, so reheating dinner is EASY!
Just a few easyyy notes before I send you on your way to onion bomb bliss!
Burger mix-ins (Worcestershire, mustard, egg, and spices) – sure, you can simply use plain old ground beef, but instead, I strongly suggest using these burger mix-ins. I use them for all my low carb hamburger recipesf
(check out our favorite bunless burgers here!) as they turn patties from boring to flavor-packed and JUICY.
Cheese – We prefer cheddar, but you can use whatever low carb cheese you have on hand or are craving!
Tools To Make
You’ll only need 1 simple kitchen tool here, and that’s a rimmed baking sheet.
As with all baked meatballs recipes, using a RIMMED baking sheet is important, as the meat will release fat and juices as it cooks, and you don’t want that dripping into the bottom of your oven!
Below you’ll find our preferred method for making these onion bombs AND a quick and easy way… Here’s what you need to know so you can decide which method you’d prefer:
- PREBAKE!! Although this step isn’t required, I strongly suggest prebaking the onion and bacon. This will help the onion soften (for us, it wasn’t cooked enough without the prebake), and will get the bacon crispy. The bacon won’t get crispy unless you prebake it!
- Seal in the cheese with the meat when you form the patties. This will keep the cheese inside the burger, instead of melting all over your baking sheet.
- Overlap the bacon when you wrap the onions, this will keep all your ingredients together in one little onion bomb.
- If using, you’ll want to broil the low carb BBQ sauce. This allows the sugars in the sauce to carmelize over the top of your onion bombs — and yes, this will happen even if you’re using a low carb sauce, as there are natural sugars in tomatoes.
There are a billion ways to jazz up a burger, here are a few that may pique your interest:
- Stuff your onion bombs with your favorite cheese. You can use whatever compliments your burger toppings here — pepper jack, jack, brie, mozzarella (like in my mozzarella stuffed meatballs) you name it! Just make sure it melts for that delicious consistency.
- Use a different type of meat. I prefer beef, as it’s easier to bring to temp. But if you’d like to turn these into pork meatballs, or Italian sausage meatballs, be my guest! Just ensure your meat is cooked to the proper temp based on the type of meat you use.
- “Stuff” a different vegetable. You can turn these onion bombs into stuffed peppers bombs, zucchini bombs, portobello mushroom bombs… you name it!
- Cover your onion bombs in whatever sauce you LOVE. Low carb ketchup, guacamole, or low carb honey mustard are three delicious choices.flow carb recipes
Onion BombsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 4 Onions tops cut off, and cut in half.
- 1 Lb Ground Beef
- 1 Egg
- 1 Teaspoon Mustard
- 1 Teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 4 Ounces Sharp Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 24 Pieces Bacon
- Low Carb BBQ Sauce optional as a topping
- Preheat oven to 400 F and line two baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prep the onion: after cutting off the top/bottom, removing the outer layers, and cutting them in half, we'll want to prep the onion "shells". For each onion bomb, I like to use 2 layers of onion, so I was able to make 8 onion bombs (16 onion halves) from 4 onions (see photos above).
- OPTIONAL (This will get the bacon crispier and the onions softer, you can skip this step if you don't mind!): Lay the onions halves cut side up in a single layer on a baking sheet. On the second baking sheet, lay the bacon in a single layer. Toss both pans in preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Combine burger ingredients together in a large bowl using your hands.
- Press the burger meat into each onion half, and hollow out a small space in the center.
- Add cheese to the center of each onion bomb. Press the onion halves together and use your hands to seal the meat around the cheese.
- Arrange 3 pieces of bacon so they overlap in the center and fan out (see photos above). Place the onion in the center where the bacon overlaps, then fold the bacon up and over the top of each onion. Repeat until you've formed 8 onion bombs.
- Place onion bombs on the prepared baking sheet and cook in the preheated oven.If you prebaked the bacon/onion, cook for 20-25 minutes, if you didn't prebake, cook for 40-45 minutes. Either way, you'll know the burgers are done once the bacon is cooked through.
- Optional: crank the oven up to broil and brush the top of each onion bomb with BBQ sauce. Return to the oven and allow the sauce to carmelize over the top, about 2 minutes. Enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
If (like me!) you can’t get enough hamburger recipes, then I’ve got some delicious recipes to share:
- Low Carb Salmon Patties. Perfect for Meatless Mondays!
- Turkey Burger Sliders. My favorite way to eat ground turkey…
- Low Carb Hamburger Buns. ALL burgers taste better with these buns.
- Chicken Burger. A wise cow once said, eat more chicken.
- Lettuce Burger. It’s all about the toppings baby.
There you have it, friends, a wild recipe you probably weren’t expecting, but I know you’re going to love. Let me know what you think of these onion bombs in the comments below. Be sure to mention any twists you added!