If you’re looking to spice up your breakfast routine, look no further than these Mexican breakfast bowls…
…Full of the most flavorful ingredients Mexican cuisine has to offer! Then topped with an egg to fuel you through whatever your busy morning has in store. Mexican breakfast bowls are easy to prep, eat on the go, or throw together for a weekend brunch.
No matter the occasion, I know you’re going to love the flavor combos in this Mexican breakfast, so let’s good cooking!
Mexican Breakfast Ingredients
These Mexican breakfast bowls are the perfect recipe to combine all the flavor packed ingredients Mexican cuisine has to offer! Here’s what I add to these low carb breakfasts bowls, feel free to add/skip/swap as you see fit!
Of course, you can use chorizo instead of breakfast sausage — I use breakfast sausage because it’s easier to find at the store, and I’m a wimp with spices.
Chorizo will be more traditional for this Mexican breakfast, but spicier! If you can handle the heat bring it onnnnnn! Just skip the chili powder, cumin and paprika. Pst, if you can’t find chorizo at the store, try making your own!
I used some of my favorite flavor packed low carb vegetables: onion and bell peppers. The kale adds some bulk and greens to these breakfast bowls!
As mentioned above, if you’re using chorizo feel free to skip these spices — but, if you’re going the breakfast sausage route, load your Mexican breakfast bowls up!
If you’re all about the flavor, add onto these spices! Looking for some extra heat? Try adding cayenne. Oregano is another delicious addition. Or, skip the spices used all together and add some low carb taco seasoning, whatever you see fit.
Duh, no breakfast would be complete without these! I love frying the eggs so the yolk can run through the rest of the Mexican breakfast ingredients — feel free to scramble, poach, or hard boil for meal prep.
Of all the cuisines, Mexican food is the champion of toppings — from salsas, to cremas, to avocados and cilantro. Go crazy! Here are some ideas:
- Avocado sauce (sour cream, lime juice, avocados + cilantro blended into the most delicious topping you’ve ever had)
- Cheese. Pepper jack, cheddar, cotija.
- Sour Cream or crema.
- Salsa or pico de gallo.
Did I miss your favorite Mexican breakfast topping? Let me know in the comments below!
How to Make Mexican Breakfast
Making Mexican breakfast bowls is as easy as sauteeing all you ingredients, and piling them together into bowls. Here are some important tips that’ll make your low carb breakfasts even tastier:
- I like to have 2 pans going: one for the eggs and one for the sausage/veggies.
- Break up your meat while it cooks, the easiest way to do this is with a ground meat chopper, but it can be done with a wooden spoon as well.
- Drain the sausage on paper towels after it cooks.
- If you’re frying the eggs, the best way to do this is by placing a lid over the top so both sides of the eggs can cook.
- Prep your toppings before you start cooking! I’m the worst at this, but skipping this is the difference between a warm and cold breakfast. Slice your avocado, chop your cilantro and set everything aside so you can throw it all together as soon as your eggs are done!
Meal Prep Your Mexican Breakfast
These Mexican breakfast eggs make for super easy and delicious low carb meal prep! To do this:
- Hard boil a batch of eggs.
- Cook the sausage and veggies per the instructions below.
- Allow everything to cool, then assemble them together into individual containers.
- Place your toppings in a separate container or resealable bag (in case you’d like to reheat the meat veggies and eggs).
Save Your Favorite Recipes!Create an account and save all your favorite recipes for easy access!
Mexican Breakfast Recipes Variations
Since this is a low carb recipes site, I made this Mexican breakfast using low carb foods only — Which means I left out some traditional additions such as beans, rice, corn and tortillas. Feel free to add them back into your Mexican breakfast using some of these variations!
Mexican breakfast tacos or Mexican breakfast burritos
Mexican breakfast casserole recipes
Double this recipe, add some cheese and bake everything together in a casserole dish. You can even make a variation of Mexican breakfast chilaquiles by adding in tortillas as you layer everything together. This is perfect for a Mexican breakfast party or brunch!
Mexican breakfast recipes huevos rancheros
Add some black beans to your bowl for a variation on this classic!
Mexican Breakfast Recipe
Let’s get this day started with some delicious and zesty Mexican breakfast bowls! I can’t wait to hear what you think, leave me a comment below with any modifications or swaps you tried. Enjoy!
Low Carb Mexican Breakfast Bowls
- 1 Pound Breakfast Sausage
- 1 Red Bell Pepper chopped
- 1/2 Onion chopped
- 4 Cups Kale chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 8 Eggs
- 1 Avocado
- Fresh Pico de Gallo for topping
- Cilantro chopped, for topping
- Remove casing from sausage, and add sausage to a large skillet.
- Cook over medium heat while breaking the sausage up with a wooden spoon.
- Once cooked through (no longer pink), allow the sausage to drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Return the pan to medium heat and add diced bell peppers, onions and kale. Cook until soft.
- Add chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt and sausage to the pan. Stir to combine everything.
- Divide this sausage and veggie combo into serving bowls.
- Lower the heat in the pan to medium-low and add two eggs at a time.
- Place a lid over the top, and allow the eggs to cook until they’ve reached your desired doneness.
- Place an egg over each bowl, followed by sliced avocado, pico de gallo and chopped cilantro. Enjoy!
©Little Pine Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media/website/blod is strictly prohibited.