Need a delicious, hearty, and saucy low carb chili recipe in your life? Look no further!
This recipe is one of the best low carb ground beef recipes that’s also one of my go-to meal prep low carb dinners! Like all of my dishes, I put a spin on the traditional recipe packed with carbs and transformed it into one of your new favorite low carb recipes!
I love this one in particular because it’s one of that chili low carb soup that’ll have you coming back for seconds. Be sure to freeze some too so that you can enjoy it later!
I mean, what’s not to love about a good low carb chili recipe?! Here is why I’ll be making this all fall and winter long:
- I loveeeee the flavor combination of the hearty ground beef, the warming spices, the heat of cayenne pepper, the sweetness of garlic and bell pepper, the aromatic oregano, herbal taste from the bay leaves and the savory tomatoes and chicken broth! Is your mouth watering yet?!
- This recipe yields ten servings, so it’s an excellent dish to make for meal prepping or freezing to eat at another time when you don’t feel like cooking. (i.e. After work on a cold evening, after a looooong day!)
- While the total cook time seems long, once you mix everything together in the pan it’s super hands off! It’ll simmer on your stovetop for the next hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours. It’s best to make while you get some chores done around the house! Dinner while checking off your to-do list?! Awesome!
- The ingredients are simple and cost effective with a lot of them being various spices that you most likely already have on hand. (I also love to keep chicken stock in my pantry to have on hand for recipes like this one!)
Here’s what you need to know to simmer up a batch of this delicious low carb chili recipe as soon as possible:
Here’s what you should know about the ingredients in this dish:
Veggies – This low carb chili recipe is an awesome way to sneak some veggies into your life. The recipe below includes my favorites, feel free to add or sub ingredients based on your preferences.
Meat – I love healthy ground beef recipes, and this dish is no exception! If low carb ground beef recipes aren’t your thing, ground turkey or chicken are delicious as well.
Spices – Spices are a cheap and easy flavor upgrade to this dish!! Taste the chili to make sure it’s spiced to your liking. You can add more heat, more garlic, whatever you’re craving.
Beans – While a traditional chili is made with beans like red kidney, black and pinto beans, this low carb chili recipe subs those high carb beans out and replaces them with protein packed ground beef. This recipe is sooooo addictive that you won’t even realize the “magical fruit” is missing!
And let’s be honest, there’s nothing too “magical” about the after effects of beans! 😉 Viva no bean chili!
If you can’t get down with a chili with no beans, add in some low carb beans, like black soy beans to trick your bean craving mind!
Tools To Make
You literally only need one tool to make this satisfying low carb chili recipe: a large saucepan to cook the meat, veggies and spices! That’s it!!! (Also, don’t you just love a recipe with limited dishes to clean up afterward?!)
If you prefer, you could also make this a low carb chili slow cooker meal to produce one of your best low carb dinners yet! Set it and forget it!
Healthy Dinner Storing Tips
I love those healthy dinners that are easy to store. Just pop this into tupperware or Corningware and put it in the fridge.
Can You Freeze This?
Yes! This low carb chili recipe is made for freezing and enjoying later! Just be sure that it’s fully cooled before putting it in the freezer, and leave a little space on top, as liquid expands as it freezes.
Meal Prepping Tips
Simmer up this low carb chili recipe on a Sunday and eat it all week long!
Switch up the toppings in it so you don’t get bored! Try some of these healthy dinner ideas to keep it fresh and interesting all week:
- Shredded cheese: Some great low carb options are: cheddar, gouda, mozzarella, cream cheese, parm, swiss, pepper jack
- Sour cream or Greek Yogurt (a fab substitute for sour cream!)
- Avocado (people usually think of avocados as a vegetable, but it’s actually a low carb fruit loaded with fiber, potassium, iron and other good for you nutrients!
- Jalapenos, Poblano peppers, Serrano peppers, Habanero peppers, etc. Add in your favorite for some spice!
- Chopped Cilantro or Italian parsley – fresh is best and it’ll also make the dish look aesthetically pleasing!
Looking for something a little extra? Check out the healthy recipes below for some low carb soup inspiration:
- Sneak in more veggies! Turn this chili into a low carb vegetable soup by mixing in whatever you have on hand: brussel sprout soup, low carb broccoli cheese soup, it’s your chili, so you make the rules!
- Add some spice to your soup via jalapeno, cayenne pepper or tabasco (check out my low carb taco soup to get an idea). You can even get creative with less spicy spices like curry, corriander or cumin if that’s more your style! Check out this curried butternut squash soup to get the ratios down.
- Make this soup creamy. Stir in some low carb greek yogurt, soup cream, or heavy cream — but if you’re looking for a dairy free creative variation, stir in some squash, or blend it into the broth for veggie based creamy deliciousness. Like this butternut squash soup or this pumpkin soup!
Low Carb ChiliPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Pounds Ground Beef 80/20
- Mild Tasting Oil (see notes below) as needed
- 2 Cups Yellow Onions chopped
- 1 Bell Pepper chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon Cayenne Pepper more if you like spice!
- 2 Tablespoons Ground Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tablespoon Oregano
- 2 Teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Black Pepper
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 - 14 oz Cans Canned Diced Tomatoes no salt added
- 2 1/2 Cups Chicken Broth
- Add beef to a large saucepan and cook on medium heat.
- Break the meat up with a wooden spoon as you brown.
- Once meat is no longer pink, pull it out of the pan and place it on a paper towel lined plate to remove any excess grease, leaving grease in the pan (if there isn’t enough grease left, add some vegetable oil).
- Add onions and bell peppers. Cook until onions are translucent and soft.
- Add garlic, cayenne pepper, cumin, paprika, and oregano. Stir until fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Add meat back to pan with salt, pepper, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, and bay leaves.
- Bring contents of the pan to an aggressive simmer, and simmer uncovered for 1 hour, 45 minutes to 2 hours — or until the sauce is thick (see note below).
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
Haven’t gotten your low carb soup fix yet?! Warm up with these no-fuss healthy soup recipes:
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Rotisserie Chicken Soup
- Low Carb Beef Stew
- Low Carb Tomato Soup
- Thai Chicken Soup
This low carb chili recipe is the perfect recipe to usher in the chilly fall season! It’s the ultimate comforting and warming dish…
Comment below to let me know how you liked it and what toppings you put on yours!