10 minutes, 4 ingredients, and you’re on your way to these satisfyingly and suuuper cheesy low carb cheese dogs!
Summertime low carb dinners don’t get better than this — just toss everything on the grill, then smoother them in cheese sauce, and you’ll have a crowd favorite that even high carb eaters can’t resist!
What I love most about zucchini recipes is their subtle taste and great texture, which makes them the PERFECT healthy swap in low carb recipes. Another reason to love them? Using them instead of making low carb hot dog buns from scratch saves SO.MUCH.TIME.
I’ll stop gushing, let’s get cooking!
These low carb cheese dogs have all the flavors you love in a cheese dog without the carbs, plus:
- Ready in 10 minutes!!
- 4 super simple ingredients – it doesn’t get better than that!
- Rewardingly creamy and delectable, while still being super good for you!!
Not much to this recipe, here are the deets:
These low carb cheese dogs are ridiculously easy – just how dinner should be:
Zucchini – one of my favorite low carb veggies, these squash are packed with vitamins A and C as well as a ton of other nutrients! Pick largish, solid green zucchini – you’ll want them to be able to fit a hot dog.
Low carb queso – Storebought cheese sauce is loaded with unexpected carbs, which is what makes this low carb queso so heavenly!! If you make it ahead of time, keep it warm so you can pour it over your finished hot dogs.
PRO TIP: We make a double or triple batch of queso and stash it in portioned baggies in the freezer. It’s great on everything! And is great to have at the ready to top your favorite meals.
Tools To Make
Just a couple basic tools and you’re on your way!
- Spoon – There are probably a number of ways you could hollow out your zucchini, but I promise that simple is best in this case.
- Grill – You’ll need an outdoor grill or stove grill plate for getting your hot dogs and zucchinis nice and toasty.
Grilled foods are hard to store well without losing a bit of their luster, so these are best eaten immediately. You can make the queso ahead, and prep the zucchinis early and store in an airtight container in the fridge for even faster cooking, if that helps.
I’m not sure about you guys, but our family will be eating these all summer long. Here are a few of the ways we’ve brainstormed to switch things up:
- Don’t feel like making queso, but still want a cheese dog? Simply swap it for shredded low carb cheese, and toss the cheese-covered dogs back on the grill until the cheese melts to your liking.
- Make chili dogs with low carb BBQ sauce and leftover low carb chili!
- Go the traditional hot dog route with low carb ketchup, mustard, low carb honey mustard, and sliced/diced low carb vegetables such as pickles, and onions.
- Not crazy about zucchini? That’s ok. Try using low carb hot dog buns, or fresh romaine leaves for low carb lettuce wraps!
Low Carb Cheese DogsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Large Zucchinis
- 4 Hot Dogs
- 1 Cup Low Carb Queso can sub for shredded cheddar (less work!)
- 1/4 Cup Chives
- Preheat your grill.
- Remove and discard the top and bottom of the zucchini, then cut in half lengthwise.
- Use a spoon to hollow out the center of the zucchini.
- Brush both sides of the zucchini with oil.
- Grill zucchini and hot dogs over direct high heat. Cook the zucchini for 5 minutes on each side. Before removing the zucchini, make sure they're tender to your liking. (I like them to be tender but not so soft that you can't hold the zucchini like a bun).
- If using cheese (instead of queso) sprinkle it over the zucchini and continue to cook for 2 additional minutes.
- Place a hot dog in the center of each zucchini.
- If using my low carb queso, make sure it's nice and warm! Then pour it over your hot dogs.
- Sprinkle with chives, and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
Looking for more low carb BBQ recipes? Here are some of my go-tos!
- Low Carb Hamburger Buns. You’ll be SHOCKED by how fluffy these are.
- Turkey Burger Sliders. Another 4 ingredient recipe we love.
- Jalapeno Coleslaw. Add a little zest to your BBQ favorite side.
- Bunless Burger. our FAVORITE patties!
- Low Carb Cheeseburger Casserole. Technically not a BBQ recipe, but you should make it ASAP anyway.
I’ll bet these low carb cheese dogs made your cookout complete! Did you use the low carb queso or switch it out? Let me know in the comments! And happy grilling!