Low carb cocoa puffs are one of the TASTIEST healthy recipes for cereal and low carb snacks. Seriously, guys, you wont need dessert once you pour yourself a bowl of this stuff…
With low carb recipes like this, my fellow low carbers and I don’t have to be denied!
Sometimes you just want Netflix, sweatpants and a great big bowl of cereal… and now you can have it! But these low carb cocoa puffs also make fantastic healthy snacks for those times when you’re craving something sweet and crunchy on the go!
C’mon, let me show you more!
I absolutely love taking a sweet delicious stroll down memory lane without guilt or shame. Just me and a big bowl of cereal on the couch – no glutinous store-bought sugar bombs here!
Besides that, these low carb cocoa puffs are so easy to make, and they’re so flexible!
Here are even more reasons to love them:
- Ready in 30 minutes
- Sweet, crunchy and delicious
- Protein-PACKED! And nutritious
- Multiple yummy uses
- Only 4 simple ingredients!
Low carb cocoa puffs have a bit of a nostalgic quality that just beckons to low carbies, myself included! Making them is actually fun.
So, here’s the thing. There are two ways to make these delightful low carb cocoa puffs, and they’re both equally scrumptious. That being said, one way does take much longer than the other…
Once you have all the ingredients combined into your tasty low carb dough, decide between squares or puffs…
For squares: simply roll out the dough and use a pizza cutter to create little squares that resemble something like Cinnamon Toast Crunch. (You can also use a ravioli cutter or super small cookie cutters.) This option only takes a couple of minutes.
Crafting a more nostalgic low carb cocoa puffs that actually resembles the traditional Cocoa Puffs takes a little more time because you’ll need to roll each of the little ‘puffs’ by hand. Enter kiddos! (The more hands, the better)
If you choose to take a stroll down memory lane by rolling your low carb cocoa puffs into little balls, you’ll want to keep your hands damp — this will keep the dough from sticking and make it easier to roll. Remember, try to keep them roughly the same size.
Preparing sweet crunchy low carb cocoa puffs that are addictingly delicious is super simple, but there are a few little tricks that can help ensure great results!
Peanut Butter — Opting for smooth creamy peanut butter is best, especially if you choose to craft the little squares. Since you’ll have to bake them it really helps if they’re rolled into a thin and even layer. Crunchy peanut butter makes that difficult.
It also REALLY helps if you soften the peanut butter before mixing your ingredients. Tossing it in the microwave will do the trick! I stir mine every 30 seconds until its nice and soft.
Protein Powder — is what gives your low carb cocoa puffs that light, airy crunch. It IS the difference between sweet crunchy cereal and soft chewy brownie bites.
Make sure to use a low carb chocolate protein powder you REALLY like. This isn’t the time to run out and try something new. If you don’t love the way your low carb protein powder taste by itself, then you won’t care for it in your low carb cocoa puffs either!
I know, not everyone LOVES using protein powder in recipes… I tested this recipe with almond flour a BILLION times and wasn’t able to achieve the same crunch factor I was with protein powder. Personally, soft cereal doesn’t curb my cereal cravings…
Erythritol — sweetens the cereal a tad more! You can leave it out, or sub in your favorite sugar alternative.
Tools To Make
Making these awesome little low carb cocoa puffs full of chocolatey goodness and a sweet crunch doesn’t require any crazy kitchen gadgets. You only need a couple of things:
- Medium bowl
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- If you decide to make the delectable little squares, then you’ll also need a pizza cutter
Of course, you may want to put on a large bib and keep your cereal bowl nearby!
Storing your low carb cocoa puffs is as easy as storing any other cereal. You’ll want to keep it in a plastic Ziploc or an airtight container to keep it fresh and crunchy. I like to stash mine in the fridge.
Can You Freeze This?
Unfortunately, you can’t freeze these low carb cocoa puffs (after baking) as the thawing process makes them soggy. Believe me, I’ve tried…
Meal Prepping Tips
This delicious low carb breakfast cereal can be ready in as little as half an hour because all you have to do is toss a few ingredients in a bowl, mix and bake. Voila! Bake a week’s worth of cereal ahead of time, and stash it in the fridge in portioned out baggies for healthy breakfast cereal or snacks all work week long!
Changing the recipe for this low carb cocoa puffs will also change the flavor. Choose subtle enhancements like:
- Use your favorite nut butter (other than peanut butter).
- Opt for different flavored protein powders — peanut butter flavored, vanilla, you name it! Choose one like cookies and cream to make delectably flavored low carb ‘cocoas puffs.’
- You can also choose a three-flavor combination of low carb protein powders. Make a batch of each and mix them together for a fruity low carb cocoa puffs concoction resembling Trix!
Can I Turn This Into Granola?
Making low carb granola combines your favorite crunchy nuts with a bit of cinnamon and your chosen low carb sweetener for a tasty grain free granola that resembles muesli in all its delicious glory. Toss in some of your low carb cocoa puffs for some added texture or an easy nutritious keto granola snack on the go!
Check out my low carb chocolate granola recipe for a scrumptious combo!
Can I Turn This Into A Hot Breakfast?
These cocoa puff don’t heat up well, opt for low carb oatmeal if you’re craving something warm! It’s super delicious, and protein packed to fuel your entire day.
Low Carb Cocoa Puffs
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- To make cocoa puff balls (takes a LOT more time, but they’re REALLY fun): pinch a little thumbnail sized amount of dough and roll between your hands to form a ball. Place on the baking sheet. Bake for 8 minutes, then take the baking sheet out of the oven and carefully move the balls around so they cook on the other side. Place back in the oven and cook another 5 minutes. Allow to cool and enjoy!
- To make squares: Place dough on a piece of parchment paper, with a second piece of parchment on top. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a thin and even layer about 1/4-1/8” thick. Remove the top piece of parchment paper. Using a pizza cutter, cut into small squares (about 1”). Bake in the oven for 5 minutes, then take the baking sheet out of the oven and carefully break up the squares, so they’re no longer connected. Bake for another 7 minutes. Allow to cool and enjoy!
Making low carb cocoa puffs is really easy and so much fun. This mouthwatering recipe is a one-bowl wonder that requires just 4 simple ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen cabinet.
It just doesn’t get much easier than that! Enjoy that big bowl of cereal you’ve been craving or make some nutrient-dense grab and go snacks. Let me know what you think in the comments below? Did this recipe curb your cereal cravings??