No joke, this low carb bread is every bit as delicious as regular bread.
I’m talking soft and pillowy, with a delicious seed crust. Perfect for sandwiches, avocado toasts or just plain old butter. It’s crazy easy to make, and is here to prove those terrible low carb bread rumors wrong!
So turn on that oven, and let’s throw together the only low carb bread recipe you’ll ever need, shall we?
How to Make Low Carb Bread
Making low carb bread is crazy easy — after you get the hang of it the first time, you’ll be making low carb bread in your sleep!
First mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Then add the eggs, apple cider vinegar and olive oil and stir to combine. Pour the hot water evenly over the top of the low carb bread ingredients (this helps the psyllium husk and flaxseed to work their magic, more on this below) and stir to combine.
Pour the batter into an 8” bread pan — I use an 8” pan because low carb bread doesn’t rise like regular bread, and using the smaller pan adds more height to the finished product.
Sprinkle your combination of seeds over your low carb bread. This step is optional. If you decide to use seeds, use whatever combo you’d like! I suggest a mixture of pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds and sesame seeds.
best low carb bread Ingredients
Generally speaking, the ingredients in this recipe are standard low carb shopping list items, with a few exceptions. Here’s what you need and what you can swap to make the best low carb bread:
Most low carb bread recipes call for almond flour as it looks most similar to wheat flour — I used almond meal in this recipe, as I was going for a “whole wheat” and “grainy” look. Taste wise, I can’t tell the difference. Plus, almond meal is frequently less expensive at the store! Use whichever you prefer.
Psyllium Husk + Flaxseed Meal
I usually use psyllium husk only in my low carb bread recipes — but since I wanted a grainier taste and feel, I added flaxseed meal as well.
These ingredients are frequently used in gluten free baking. Gluten acts as a glue to bind ingredients together — unfortunately, almond flour doesn’t share this characteristic, which is where psyllium husk and/or flaxseed meal come in handy. They’re able to absorb liquids and help bind low carb bread ingredient together, making our low carb bread taste more “bread-like”.
Olive oil adds some delicious flavor to our low carb bread — I love it. Swap it with a more subtly tasting oil if you prefer: coconut oil, avocado oil, or any vegetable oil will do.
Helps psyllium husk and flaxseed meal to do their thing. If you’d like to use psyllium husk only (and no flaxseed meal), double the amount of boiling water used.
almond flour bread recipe Frequent Questions
Making this almond flour bread recipe is dramatically differently from making a traditional bread recipe. Here are some of the questions I get most about low carb bread making! If I didn’t address your question, leave a comment below the recipe.
Can I skip The Seeds in this keto bread?
Absolutely! Before switching to low carb foods, I was addicted Dave’s Killer Bread 21 grain because of that seed crust! Which is what inspired this low carb bread recipe! I’ve made this keto bread recipe without the seed topping and it’s still super delicious.
Can I convert This to A paleo bread recipe?
The only questionable ingredient that would prevent it from being a paleo bread recipe, is psyllium husk (I found a lot of conflicting info online!) — to be safe, skip the psyllium husk and double the flaxseed meal in this low carb bread!
How do I make This a no carb bread?
When using low carb flour, it’s nearly impossible to make a no carb bread, as they all contain carbs (although much less than regular flour!). Psyllium husk and flaxseed meal also contain carbs (mainly fiber).
How to Store almond flour bread
After making this almond flour bread, allow it to cool on the counter. Then slice it up, place it in a large resealable bag and into the fridge. I often freeze my low carb bread, as it’s hard for our household to finish the entire loaf before it’s expiration date!
To do this, cut the low carb bread into slices and put a portions worth into snack sized bag. Take as much air out of the bag as possible, then toss them in the freezer!
How to Eat almond bread
Eat this almond bread every way you can think of! Here are some obvious and not so obvious ways to enjoy your new favorite low carb bread:
- Sandwiches, with low carb chicken salad or sliced deli meat
- Egg in a hole
- Grilled cheese
- Avocado toast, or toast with bacon butter.
- Dip into low carb chicken soup
- To sop up your favorite sauce
low carb bread recipe
I’m telling you guys, this is about to be your new favorite low carb bread recipe! I can’t WAIT to hear what you think — Let me know how you enjoyed this fluffy and delicious low carb bread recipe and what you did with it in the comments below!
Low Carb Bread with Seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 F and prepare and 8” bread pan with parchment paper or butter.
- Mix Sunflower Seeds, pepitas and sesame seeds in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine almond flour, psyllium husk, flaxseed meal, baking soda, salt and half of the seed combo.
- Add eggs, olive oil and apple cider vinegar and stir to combine.
- Add boiling water water and stir.
- Pour ingredients into the prepared bread pan.
- Sprinkle remaining seeds on top of the bread.
- Bake in the oven for 45-55 minutes. The bread is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the top looks crustlike.
- Allow the bread to cool in the pan before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
- This can also be done with a whole head of broccoli, just cut the broccoli into chunks before adding it to the food processor. Using a large stem will make your broccoli rice more similar to store bought products.
©Little Pine Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media/website/blod is strictly prohibited.
where to buy low carb bread
If after reading this, you just want to know where can I buy low carb bread, then here are some of your options:
- As far as a low carb bread Kroger sells, you can grab a package of Bob’s Red Mill low carb bread mix! The package includes a low carb bread machine recipe and a conventional oven recipe.
- The low carb bread Walmart sells is called Great Low Carb Bread company. It has pretty mixed reviews, if you’ve tried it let me know what you think in the comments below!
More low carb breads
Looking for more low carb breads? Here are a handful of low carb recipes based on whatever you’re craving:
- Oopsie Bread
- Oopsie Rolls
- Cloud Bread Pizza
- Cinnamon Swirl Almond Bread
- Almond Flour Bread
- Low Carb Pumpkin Bread
- Chocolate Swirl Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread