Seriously guys, this keto meatloaf is the king of comfort food!
Food to eat after a long hard day, food to enjoy next to a big cozy fire, food that brings the whole family together (and that everyone will actually enjoy!). Keto meatloaf is every bit as delicious as the high carb variety, and comes together sooo easily! You can spend less time in the kitchen and more time enjoying your loved ones.
Plus, this low carb meatloaf is wrapped in bacon, and everything tastes better with bacon…
Here’s everything you need to know about this low carb recipe:
How to Make Keto Meatloaf
Aside from the fancy bacon-wrapped part, you could literally make this keto meatloaf in your sleep (although I wouldn’t suggest that!). Here’s how it comes together:
1. Make your keto meatloaf glaze.
Instead of a keto meatloaf gravy, I topped this recipe with my favorite low carb bbq sauce, which in the recipe below I call the “glaze”.
If you have keto bbq sauce on hand, use that instead! If not, simply toss all the sauce ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine. Set glaze side while we prep everything else.
2. Prep the bacon.
To get our keto meatloaf looking as picturesque as possible, we will use an 8 x 4” bread pan to form the meatloaf and wrap it thoroughly in bacon.
First, we’ll line the bread pan with bacon, slightly overlapping each strip so the bacon crust is as seamless as possible. Then add 2 tablespoons of glaze to the bottom of the bread pan. Set aside while we prep the rest of the ingredients.
3. Sauté the keto vegetables.
Sautéing the low carb veggies will release any excess liquid they may have, while balancing out their flavors. Trust me, you don’t want to skip this step. It adds a lotttta flavor and only takes 10 extra minutes.
Save Your Favorite Recipes!Create an account and save all your favorite recipes for easy access!
4. Add your low carb vegetables to a bowl with the Worcestershire sauce — this will help to cool down the veggies before we add in the eggs and meat.
5. Add all remaining keto meatloaf ingredients to the bowl and mix using your hands. I know it’s gross, but using your hands is the best way to ensure everything is thoroughly combined.
6. Press the keto stuffed meatloaf mixture into the prepared bread pan.
Then, grab the ends of the bacon and wrap them over the top of the caveman keto meatloaf.
As you’ll see in the photo above, the bacon I used wasn’t long enough to wrap over the top of my keto meatloaf, but don’t worry, no one will see it!
7. Flip the keto meatloaf onto a prepared baking sheet.
According to Epicurious, cooking meatloaf on a baking sheet is the best way to get a carmalized edge — in a loaf pan, the meat “steams”, as there’s no way for the liquid to release.
Be sure to use a rimmed baking sheet, as the meatloaf will release juices as it cooks. Lining your baking sheet with a piece of parchment will help to cut down on dirty dishes.
8. You may want to wrap the front and back of your keto meatloaf with an additional slice of bacon to fill in any exposed edges.
9. Cover your keto meatloaf with remaining glaze — this is most easily done with a pastry brush.
Toss it in the oven and bake until a meat thermometer inserted into the center of your keto meatloaf reads 160F.
Alternatively, you can bake keto meatloaf muffins — follow the steps above, but use a muffin pan instead. Bake them for about 30 minutes — you’ll know they’re done when their internal temp is 160F.
Low Carb Meatloaf Variations
Low carb meatloaf can be modified into your family’s favorite comfort food with a couple swaps to accommodate your taste buds. Here are some keto meatloaf variations to consider:
Keto turkey meatloaf.
If you prefer low carb ground turkey recipes to low carb ground beef recipes, the ground beef can be substituted for turkey — that said, this dish will be significantly drier if turkey is used.
Alternatives to barbecue sauce.
If you’d like to skip the glaze making step, use low carb ketchup, or even tomato paste with fresh herbs mixed in
Skip the bacon.
If bacon isn’t your thing, simply form your keto meatloaf onto a prepared baking sheet instead– skipping the bacon part.
Substitute for almond flour
Unfortunately, this recipe won’t work as keto meatloaf coconut flour — coconut flour will make this dish too dry. However, you can swap almond flour for shredded cheese. Use a mild cheese such as mozzarella or cheddar.
What to Serve With This Paleo Meatloaf
Cauliflower mac and cheese – for seriously comforting low carb dinners, serve these two quintessential dishes together!
Keto salads – or, lighten it up with some crisp/fresh greens. Toss ‘em in keto ranch dressing, or your favorite low carb salad dressing of choice.
Roasted vegetables – since the oven is already on, I love to toss some vegetables such as broccoli or cauliflower in olive oil and place them on a baking sheet along side the keto meatloaf. Super tasty with just a dash of salt and pepper!
Gluten Free Meatloaf Freezing + Meal Prep
With our busy lives, low carb meal prep is key to staying on track! That’s why I like to have low carb meals at the ready in the freezer — there are always healthy low carb dinner ideas to choose from!
This gluten free meatloaf is great for freezing: allow it to cool in the fridge overnight. Then slice it into portions and place them in resealable bags and in the freezer. Next time you’re in the mood for keto meatloaf, simply reheat a few slices by laying them flat on a baking sheet in the oven.
Carbs in Meatloaf (Traditional Recipe)
Confession: before I knew anything about low carb foods, I thought meatloaf was low carb! So I wanted to share what the carbs in meatloaf actually are, so you know why to make this low carb version instead!
Meatloaf is typically made with a hefty amount of breadcrumbs. It’s then smothered in a sugary sauce such as ketchup or barbecue sauce. Breadcrumbs are used in traditional recipes to hold the ingredients together, which is more difficult for low carb recipes…
Our low carb meatloaf binder is keto meatloaf with eggs and almond flour. This keeps everything together and adds moisture to the dish.
Keto Meatloaf Recipe
Crank up the coziness in your kitchen with this super tasty keto meatloaf recipe! Can’t wait to hear what you guys think of this dish– have you had bacon wrapped meatloaf before? Are you addicted? Share your thoughts in the comment section below!
BBQ Sauce Glaze:
- 12 Strips of Bacon
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 Medium Onion chopped
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 2 Teaspoons Salt divided
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Black Pepper divided
- 2 Lb Ground Beef
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Cup Almond Flour
- Preheat to oven to 350 F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the glaze and set aside.
- Place pieces of bacon in 9x5 loaf pan, overlapping each piece slightly.
- Spread 2 Tablespoons of glaze over the bacon in the loaf pan, and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Once shimmering, add onion and 1 teaspoon of salt plus ½ teaspoon pepper until the onion is soft (about 10 minutes).
- Add garlic and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, or until the garlic is fragrant.
- Place cooked veggies into a large bowl and stir 3 tablespoons of glaze.
- Add the ground beef, eggs, almond flour, remaining salt and pepper and combine thoroughly.
- Press meatloaf into loaf pan over the slices of bacon.
- Fold each piece of bacon over the top of the meatloaf (mine didn’t reach all the way across the bottom, this is ok, you won’t see it).
- Place parchment paper lined baking sheet upside down over the top of your meatloaf, and flip the pan, so the bottom of the meatloaf is upright on the baking sheet.
- Brush remaining glaze over the top of the bacon wrapped meatloaf and bake in the oven for 1 hr - 1hr 30min, or until a meat thermometer inserted into the center reads 155F.
- Allow the meatloaf to cool 15 minutes before cutting into it.
- Brush additional low carb bbq sauce over the top (if you’d like) before serving and enjoy!
- Sub the glaze ingredients with low carb bbq sauce instead.
- Use less glaze. You can also sub ½ the onion for celery.