If you’re looking for a quick and hearty dinner, look no further than this Italian meatball sliders recipe that’s as delicious as it is easy!
We’re making yummy Italian sausage meatballs, sandwiched between grilled portabellos, and topped with zesty sauce and melted cheese.
This low carb recipes easy sliders make for the perfect weeknight dinners, low carb appetizers, or meal prepped lunch option for quick munching! These low carb meatballs are so delicious for other recipes too – try them with zoodles or on subs!
Heavenly! Ready to eat? Let’s go!
These Italian meatball sliders have all our favorite flavors in one easy bite, plus:
- Ready in just 45 minutes!
- Super customizable – choose your meat, your sauce seasonings, and your bun!
- Super satisfying and delicious – the Italian sausage and mushrooms pair perfectly!
I love this Italian meatball sliders recipe because you can make it in bulk! Put patties on one pan and mushrooms on the other – bake together and you’re done!
These inexpensive ingredients should be pretty easy to find at your local store, and are great for having on hand!
Mini portobello mushrooms – You may have tried a portobello mushroom burger before, but have you tried these baby bellas? The mini version of the original, these are perfect for swapping in lots of portobello mushroom recipes, but especially appetizers like this one.
Spaghetti Sauce – Did you know that most spaghetti sauces are loaded with hidden sugars? We’re not swapping bread to get duped by marinara… so check the labels to make sure you have a low carb version, or try my low carb spaghetti sauce!
Italian sausage – This spicy pork sausage is strongly seasoned and can sometimes be spicy, so choose your level of heat (opt for sweet vs. spicy)! If buying in links, slice off the casing before mixing with the other ingredients.
Tools To Make
Just a couple of baking tools to get us on the right track!
- Baking sheets – We’ll need 2 sheets for this recipe – one for cooking the mushrooms and one for making the baked meatballs. Luckily, they cook at the same temp, so you can bake them right alongside each other.
- Parchment paper – I love this stuff! The silicone coating helps literally anything pop right off the tray without sticking. Note: this is not wax paper – that would be disastrous. But parchment will make cooking and clean up a breeze.
I love that you can cook the 2 main parts of this recipe at the same time! Do your prep work during the first bake for the mushrooms and you’ll have dinner made and dishes clean by the end!
During the second bake, both the patties and the mushrooms will be done around the same time. You want your mushrooms to be fork-tender, and check your patties with a thermometer to make sure they hit 165 degrees.
These are best served right from the oven so that the cheese is nice and melty.
This recipe makes 20 Italian meatball sliders. Just a few are perfect as an appetizer or serve more as a whole meal with a few good sides! Pair with some cut low carb veggies, creamy low carb coleslaw or veggie chips!
Want to switch things up a little? Here are a few ideas…
- Swap the meat. If you’re not a fan of Italian sausage, you have plenty of options! Use regular ground beef or try making turkey burger sliders. You can also use the baby bellas along with this low carb fried chicken bites!
- Don’t want to use portobello mushrooms as the bread in these Italian meatball sliders? No worries! Swap them out for almond flour biscuits or low carb hamburger buns!
- Change the cheese. I like the combination of mozzarella with Italian sausage, but you are welcome to mix it up! Use any kind of low carb cheese that you want!
- Vegetarian version. You can skip meat to make this a vegetarian dish. Try using the ingredients in this dish to make a portobello mushroom pizza!
Italian Meatball SlidersPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- Preheat oven to 400 F and line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Lay portobello mushrooms stem side up in a single layer on the first baking sheet. Brush with 1/2 the olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the ground Italian sausage, egg, and parmesan together in a large bowl.
- Roll the sausage into 20 balls, then press them into patties.
- Place in a single layer on the second baking sheet.
- After 20 minutes, grab the mushroom pan and flip them so they're now facing stem side down. Brush this side with the rest of the oil, and return to the oven.
- At the same time, place sausage pan in the oven. Both will take 16-18 minutes to cook, you'll know the sausages are done once their internal temp reaches 165 F, and the mushrooms are done once they're fork-tender.
- Remove the pans from the oven.
- Place 1 quarter of cheese on top of each patty.
- Return the sausage baking sheet back into the oven and bake until the cheese melts (about 5 minutes). Allow patties to cool slightly before assembling.
- Place 2 basil leaves on the stem side of 1/2 the mushrooms. Place patty over the basil, then spoon spaghetti sauce on top. Finish with the other half of the mushrooms.
- Place a toothpick in the center, or eat as is. Enjoy!
Having a shindig? These low carb appetizers are perfect for sharing! Try some out:
- Low Carb Nachos – Chips, cheese, and salsa – it’s a recipe for perfection!
- Low Carb Crab Cakes – Not relegated to restaurants, you can make these yummy crab cakes right at home!
- Low Carb Sausage Balls – Let me just say ahead of time – double this recipe.
- Low Carb Stuffed Mushrooms – Fancy and delicious – a perfect party food.
- Low Carb Onion Rings – Match these with some ketchup for the perfect snack!
I’ll bet you didn’t even miss the bun on these Italian meatball sliders. Who would with those tender baby bellas stealing the show???
What did you think? Let me know in the comments!