No joke, making instant pot corned beef is the sole reason I bought an instant pot…
In my house, corned beef and cabbage is too delicious to enjoy just once a year, but waiting 6 hours for it cook on the stove is a total dealbreaker. Enter the instant pot: it cooks this bad boy into tender and delicious perfection in just 2 hrs!
So, if you love corned beef as much as I do, and are looking for the easiest way to make it (just like my fall off the bone instant pot ribs), then let’s get cooking some instant pot corned beef!
How to Make Instant Pot Corned Beef
You’re going to LOVE how easy instant pot corned beef is to throw together. You just need a few tools and ingredients to get started:
- Your instant pot (duh). I use my 6 quart instant pot.
- A big old juicy slab of beef brisket. I LOVE the meat selection at Costco, plus it helps to save some $!
- Seasoning. My go-to seasoning for instant pot corned beef is bay leaves, peppercorn, mustard seeds, coriander and garlic.
And here’s how you throw it all together for instant pot corned beef perfection:
1. Prepare your instant pot. If you’re a seasoned veteran when it comes to instant pot recipes, then you know the drill:
Place the trivet (the metal rack that comes with your instant pot) inside the instant pot so the arms reach up, and the feet of your trivet rest along the bottom.
Place your beef brisket on top of the rack.
2. Add water + seasoning to your instant pot corned beef.
Secure the lid on top, and make sure the quick release is set to “sealing”.
Then press “pressure cooker” and make sure the “high pressure” is selected. Set the cook time to 90 minutes. Your instant pot will come to pressure in about 15 minutes — then the 90 minute countdown will begin!
When the timer beeps, you’ll know your instant pot corned beef is done! Simply turn the quick release to “venting”. This will take about 5-10 minutes until it’s safe to open.
3. CAREFULLY (this guy is going to be hotttt) remove corned beef to a large plate and set aside. I do this with tongs, although the meat is so tender it may fall apart along the way! Grab any fallen instant pot shredded beef with tongs and place them onto the plate.
Pull out the bay leaves, garlic and any aromatics you can easily grab.
Using a ladle, spoon some cooking liquid over the top of your instant pot corned beef. Then cover it on up with tin foil while we cook the veggies.
4. Add veggies to the instant pot.
* Since I stick to low carb foods, I decided to skip the potatoes — feel free to add them in for an instant pot corned beef hash recipe by swapping some of the low carb vegetables in the recipe below.
Seal the lid and turn the quick release valve to “sealing”. Then set it to high pressure for 3 minutes. Once the timer goes off and the veggies are done, quick release the pressure cooker by turning the quick release valve to venting.
5. Plate it on up!
You’ll want to slice your instant pot corned beef against the grain — cutting with the grain can make your instant pot corned beef tough and harder to chew.
Plate the beef with your veggies and/or potatoes.
Instant Pot Corned Beef And Cabbage Serving Suggestions
There are SO many ways to enjoy this instant pot corned beef and cabbage keto — from ultra glutinous to health-ish and “light” (as light as a beef dish can be).
Instant pot corned beef with glaze.
First and foremost, serve your sliced instant pot corned beef with a ladle of the cooking juice on top — this stuff is full of all the tasty herbs and spices we cooked our meat in, and adds a ton of complexity and even more juiciness to every bite.
Then, you’ll want to sprinkle some fresh herbs on top — this will add some crisp/freshness back to the instant pot corned beef. Parsley is my favorite herb for topping.
Now for the glutinous part…
A slice of butter to top your instant pot corned beef is loved by many — I don’t think it’s necessary, unless you’re frying your instant pot corned beef (ohhhh ya, I’ll share that tip below).
Get creative and add whatever you’re craving: instant pot corned beef and cabbage with brown sugar, instant pot corned beef brisket recipes with horseradish… your kitchen: your rules.
What to do with Corned Beef and Cabbage Leftovers
Unless you’re feeding a large crew, it’s hard to finish all this corned beef and cabbage in one meal! Great news for our household, because it’s one of the best instant pot recipes for leftovers…
Our favorite way to eat instant pot corned beef leftovers is as a breakfast dish. To do this:
Add a slab of butter to a non-stick pan, with a heaping helping of instant pot corned beef. Sear it until it forms into a “pancake” — then flip it to get a crispy layer on both sides.
Topped it with a few fried eggs, and bam! Serve up one of the tastiest low carb breakfasts!
You can also make leftover instant pot corned beef sandwiches.
Since I stick to low carb recipes, I use my favorite almond flour bread here. Use whatever bread you fancy (low carb bread or not). I like to add a spread of Boursin cheese and some crisp and crunchy veggies, along with some slices of this instant pot beef recipes.
How to Cook Corned Beef + Freeze It!
Healthy instant pot recipes are perfecttt for low carb meal prep (or not-so-low-carb meal prep). Not only does this cut down on cook time, it also ensure you always have low carb meals at the ready. I’ll often double (or triple) a recipe so our freezer stays stocked!
How to cook corned beef for the leftovers…
Cool your instant pot corned beef before placing it in the freezer by chilling it in the fridge overnight. Then place portions into your best meal prep containers, or resealable bags.
Reheat leftovers by spreading a portion onto a baking sheet and tossing them in the oven until they come to your desired temp.
How About Corned Beef Crockpot?
Corned beef crockpot is another way to cook this tasty meal, in a fraction of the time it takes to cook it over the stove (although not as easy as instant pot dinner recipes).
To do this, follow the instructions below, using your crockpot instead. Set the cooktime to “high”, and cook for 4 – 4 ½ hours, or until the meat is tender (you can test this with a fork).
Instant Pot Corned Beef Recipe
Grab your instant pot, because I’m so excited and can’t wait any longer to share this instant pot corned beef recipe! Let me know what your think of easy instant pot recipes like this one in the comments below, and enjoy!
Instant Pot Corned Beef
- 2.5 Pounds Beef Brisket
- 4 Cups Water
- 3 Bay Leaves torn
- 1 Tablespoon Black Peppercorns
- 1 Tablespoon Coriander Seeds
- 1 Tablespoon Yellow Mustard Seeds
- 4 Garlic Cloves quartered
- 1 Medium Onion peeled, halved through root
- 1 Head Cabbage cut into 6 wedges
- 1/4 Cup Parsley chopped, flat leaf
- Place rack at the bottom of the instant pot, and place corned beef brisket on the rack.
- Add water.
- Add bay leaves, peppercorns, coriander seeds, mustard seeds and garlic.
- Seal instant pot lid and set to high pressure for 90 minutes.
- Once time is complete, quick release the pressure cooker.
- Carefully remove the corned beef from the instant pot to a large plate.
- Discard the aromatics from the cooking liquid.
- Spoon some of the cooking liquid over the top of the corned beef and cover with tin foil.
- Add the carrots, cabbage and onion to the instant pot.
- Seal instant pot lid and set to high pressure for 3 minutes.
- Quick release the pressure.
- Slice the corned beef against the grain and spoon some cooking liquid over each slice.
- Sprinkle chopped parsley over veggies.
- Option to serve melted butter over dish. Enjoy!