If you haven’t jumped on board with the Instant Pot craze, your chance is NOW, with this mouth-watering Instant Pot corned beef, READY IN UNDER 2 HOURS!!!
If you’ve ever made stovetop corned beef (or even crockpot corned beef), you KNOW what a big deal that is!
Another added benefit of low carb instant pot recipes is how delectably tender the meat is. Literally, every bite is perfection!
This low carb recipes got flavorful beef brisket marinated in a spiced stock, which is served alongside gently stewed veggies….friends, it’s the king of low carb dinners.
The perfect dish for company or meal prepping when you want a satisfying and heavenly hot meal at the end of the day!
Let’s get cooking!
This instant pot corned beef is so delicious and almost no work thanks to the hard-working pressure cooker, plus:
- Easy to find ingredients that are inexpensive, with just one dish to clean!
- Packed with nutrients and great for meal prepping!
- The scrumptious flavor we love in the classic dish – in no time at all!
This all in one instant pot corned beef is a dream dinner – low carb, delicious, and ready in no time! Read below for some tips!
There may be some new-to-you ingredients here, but never fear! Soon, you’ll be in love with them like I am!
Beef Brisket – This is a cut of beef, from the chest section by the ribs and is one of my favorite high protein low carb foods. This is a flavorful, somewhat fatty piece of meat, but it can be quite tough.
The best way to prepare this cut is to cook and slow and long… and that’s where the instant pot comes in! The pressure cooker allows us to get melt in your mouth texture in a fraction of the time as smoking or braising. If you want added flavor, you can always coat the meat with a yummy beef brisket rub.
Bay leaves – These dried leaves impart an herbal flavor to soups and stews, and, like most aromatics, are usually removed before eating.
Veggies – We’ll use the traditional combo of cabbage, carrots and yellow onion. In the finished dish, you’ll find they stew really well! They get nice and soft and take on a lot of the flavor of the cooking liquid.
Potatoes – If you’re like to make instant pot corned beef and hash, toss some quartered and peeled russet potatoes in with your veggies. I skip it to keep this instant pot corned beef and cabbage keto approved.
Parsely – adds DELICIOUS fresh flavor, and a slight crunch to the dish. Don’t skip it!
Spices – This is our favorite spice combo! I prefer to use this rather than the spice packet that often comes with corned beef.
Tools To Make
Take the plunge and buy an instant pot! You won’t be sorry – this thing is worth its weight in gold!
- Instant Pot – This is a pressure cooker, but not the old school version people were scared to cook with! Today’s pressure cookers are digital, with a lot of fantastic safety features. I have the 6 quart, which fits a 2.5-pound piece of brisket perfectly.
- Trivet – This stainless steel rack (that comes with the instant pot) helps keep your brisket cut up off the bottom so that it gets that lovely cooking stock all around it. They often have handles, which will help you lift the meat out of the pot, letting your veggies get a turn to stew!
Like all meats, you’ll want to store leftovers of this instant pot corned beef in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
I slice it up and store it alongside the sauce to use for healthy dinner ideas.
Can You Freeze This?
Yep, you can freeze this instant pot corned beef after cooking! Make sure you store it in the juices in an airtight container.
How Do You Reheat Corned Beef?
To reheat, you’ll want to put the brisket and the sauce in the oven to bring back up to temp. I don’t suggest reheating in the microwave, the meal will dry right out.
This dish is pretty nutritionally balanced with protein, fat, and veggies all in one yummy stew! If you’re looking for something with a little more heft, try:
- Serving it alongside these tasty low carb potatoes
- Our FAVORITE: shred the beef, chop the veggies, mix everything together, and mash it down (like a pancake). Then pan fry it in butter, and serve a fried egg on top. Amazing!
- Add it to scrambled eggs
- As is! It’s pretty dang perfect the traditional way.
This instant pot corned beef is an old classic – but it can stand some originality! Here are a few tips and tricks for customizing this dish.
How To Make Instant Pot Corned Beef With Beer?
As you’ll see below, this recipe is for instant pot corned beef WITHOUT beer — we prefer it that way.
I find the beer adds a slightly bitter taste. If you’d like to make instant beef WITH beer, just pour a dark beer into the mix (and leave out some water). Keep it traditional with instant pot corned beef and cabbage with Guinness!
Is This Instant Pot Corned Beef Keto?
YES! It is! By skipping the potatoes, you’ve got a suuuper low carb dish (check out the nutritional information below the recipe).
Don’t want to make instant pot corned beef and cabbage keto? Add the quartered potatoes in with the rest of the veggies!
How Do You Know When Corned Beef Is Ready?
You’ll know the corned beef is cooked once it’s VERY fork-tender, meaning it can EASILY be pierced with a fork. As far as cuts of beef go, corned beef is naturally very tough, which is why we cook it so long.
Now, you can overcook corned beef, which would make it tough and chewy. I find the easiest way to prevent over OR undercooking is to cook corned beef in the instant pot!
Do You Rinse Corned Beef Before Cooking?
If your meat came in a brined vacuum-sealed package, then YES, rinse the meat before cooking it. Not rinsing the meat can cause your corned beef to come out extra salty.
Don’t worry, you won’t lose the flavor from the brine by rinsing the meat — at this point, your corned beef is pretty well infused.
Can I Add A Glaze To This Corned Beef?
Looking for a crispy crust on this corned beef? An easy way to do this is to broil it with brown sugar on top after it’s finished cooking in the instant pot. (You can easily do this while the veggies are cooking in the broth).
While slightly less traditional, instant pot corned beef and cabbage with brown sugar bring the flavor up a few notches!
Instant Pot Corned BeefPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2.5 Pounds Beef Brisket
- 4 Cups Water
- 3 Bay Leaves torn
- 1 Tablespoon Black Peppercorns
- 1 Tablespoon Coriander Seeds
- 1 Tablespoon Yellow Mustard Seeds
- 4 Garlic Cloves quartered
- 1 Medium Onion peeled, halved through root
- 1 Head Cabbage cut into 6 wedges
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Parsley chopped, flat leaf
- Place trivet at the bottom of the instant pot, and place corned beef brisket on the rack.
- Add water.
- Add bay leaves, peppercorns, coriander seeds, mustard seeds and garlic.
- Seal instant pot lid and set to high pressure for 90 minutes.
- Once time is complete, quick release the pressure cooker.
- Carefully remove the corned beef from the instant pot to a large plate.
- Discard the aromatics from the cooking liquid.
- Spoon some of the cooking liquid over the top of the corned beef and cover with tin foil.
- Add the carrots, cabbage and onion to the instant pot.
- Seal instant pot lid and set to high pressure for 3 minutes.
- Quick release the pressure.
- Slice the corned beef against the grain and spoon some cooking liquid over each slice.
- Sprinkle chopped parsley over veggies.
- Option to serve melted butter over dish. Enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
- Cabbage: 7.5g net carbs
- Carrots: 2g net carbs
- Onion: 2g net carbs
Looking for more healthy beef recipes? I have an almost endless supply! Work your way through these delicious lunch and dinner ideas!
- Low Carb Taco Casserole. Who needs the taco shell when you’ve got this casserole?!
- Low Carb Beef Stew. Another hearty dish.
- Low Carb Meatloaf. You won’t know the bread crumbs are missing!
- Low Carb Chili. Skipping the “magical fruit” leaves more room for the good stuff.
- Low Carb Taco Soup. Great for cold weather days.
I think you’ll fall madly in love with this quick and hearty instant pot corned beef! Comment below with your favorite way to customize it!