This ground chicken tacos recipe is one of my absolute favorite low carb recipes!
Not only are they so easy to make, but they take ground chicken recipes to a whole new level with aromatic spices and tantalizing sauce.
It’s one of our favorite weeknight low carb dinners because they’re a healthy alternative to most taco recipes, that don’t actually taste healthy.
Although some low carb chicken recipes can be dry and bland, the cooking method shared below results in the juiciest, most flavor-packed chicken tacos that are TOTALLY Taco Tuesday worthy!
Grab your tortillas and let’s start!
From the flavor to the smell, this ground chicken tacos recipe is a sensory masterpiece!
- Vibrant flavors
- Aromatic, toasted herbs!
- Versatile — change up your servings or toppings!
- Everyone will gobble it down!
This ground chicken tacos recipe is one of my go-to weeknight meals. It’s so easy to make and only has eight simple ingredients!
You may think you know Mexican chicken recipes — but let me walk you through this one!
Veggies – Sautéing veggies before adding them to a dish helps release their flavor for a balanced, sweet taste. Don’t skip on searing! That’s where the yumminess comes from!
Taco Seasoning – Grab you favorite packet of taco seasoning — or, if you’re eating low carb, try my low carb taco seasoning recipe for a delicious alternative and SUGAR FREE alternative!
Ground Chicken – Chicken is much lower in fat than beef, so cooking it in the tomato sauce is what prevents the chicken from drying out. This step makes a world of difference and ensures each bite is just as moist as if you’d made shredded chicken tacos!
If you can’t find ground chicken, you can always toss boneless/skinless chicken thighs in a food processor.
Tools To Make
You only need two tools to make this ground chicken tacos recipe!
This ground chicken tacos recipe stores wonderfully — and I think it tastes better the second day!
Put your taco meat in an airtight container and store in the fridge. To reheat, just pop in the microwave!
This ground chicken tacos recipe makes one of the best meals! You can change up the flavors just by swapping the toppings. To name some of my faves:
- Cheese! Cheddar, cotija or Mexican cheese blend are perfect. I LOVE to fry some cheese in a pan before sliding into onto my tortilla. YUM!
- Avocados. Freshly sliced, or mashed into guacamole.
- Fresh cilantro
- Salsa! Go with the classics like pico, spicy or tomatillo. Or get fancy with mango, pineapple or orange salsa.
- Pickled veggies like onions, carrots, etc.
And more! Now, as far as the serving method goes, think beyond the tortilla friends…
- Taco salad. I love adding additional grilled veggies (like in my low carb taco salad!)
- Tortillas. Grab your favorites, whether that’s flour, corn, low carb tortillas, or these AMAZING cheese taco shells!
- Taco bowls. Add the meat over a bowl filled with rice (or cauli rice), beans and cooked veggies.
- Nachos. Sprinkle this cooked meat over some of your favorite chips (or low carb tortilla chips)
Believe it or not, there are more variations to be had for this ground chicken tacos recipe!
- Use a different kind of meat. You can use this recipe to make pork tacos, turkey tacos, and even good ol’ ground beef tacos. Just remember that the fat content is different for each meat, so you’ll want to carefully watch your skillet as you cook to avoid burning or dryness.
- Make These Spicy. Bring on the heat! Simply crank up the heat with just an extra sprinkle of spice such as cayenne pepper or even tabasco.
- Turn These Into Casserole. This ground chicken tacos recipe would make a great low carb taco casserole! Tossing together a ground chicken casserole is a fantastic way to use up various ingredients.
- Turn This Into a Soup. If you plan to turn these ground chicken tacos into a low carb taco soup, I suggest adding more low carb vegetables, be sure to saute them first! Then add chicken broth and (possibly) some salsa. You’ll love it!
Ground Chicken TacosPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- Add veggie oil to a large skillet over medium heat.
- Once shimmering, add the onion and cook until it softens -- about 5 minutes.
- Stir in taco seasoning and toast these spices until they become fragrant -- about 2 minutes.
- Add ground chicken and cook until it browns, breaking up with the back of your spoon as you cook.
- Add tomato sauce, vinegar, salt and pepper and cook uncovered for about 10 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened to your liking.
- Serve with tortillas and your favorite toppings, and enjoy!
Fans Also Made These Low Carb Recipes:
Want to plan out a whole week’s worth of healthy chicken recipes? Here we go!
- Chicken Crust Pizza. Chicken as a crust? Can you say YUM??
- Fajita Stuffed Chicken. Stuff your chicken Mexican-style!
- Spinach Stuffed Chicken. Veggies, protein, AND cheese!
- Chicken Bolognese. Great with any noodles!
- Pesto Chicken Salad – Pesto meets chicken in this fresh, bright salad!
This flavor-packed ground chicken tacos recipe opens up a whole new world of low carb dinner possibilities. I usually make these once or twice a month because they’re just so yummy and reliable!
What’s your favorite taco topping? Let me know in the comments!