There are a few classic French dishes every home cook should know how to make, and this chicken Provençal is one of them. Chicken thighs braised in white wine, olives, tomatoes, and shallots for fall-off-the-bone tender chicken drenched in a lusciously delicious sauce. It comes together with only a few minutes of work, so grab a loaf of bread, and let’s dig in!
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email below and we’ll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you’ll get great new recipes from us every week!
What is Chicken Provençal?
Chicken Provençal is a classic southeastern French dish. This region is known for using loads of fresh herbs, tomatoes, olives, garlic, and lemon–all of which are present here. Chicken Provençal is typically made using thighs or drumsticks, a higher fat cut so their luscious juices can be incorporated into the braise.
Speaking of the sauce–it’s the BEST part. So be sure to serve your chicken with olives over rice or with a toasted piece of bread to soak it all up.
This simple chicken with olives recipe contains a few musts and a few swappables. Here’s what you need to know about your ingredients:
- The chicken: Skin-on, bone-in thighs are best for braising, as they won’t dry out during the long cooking process, and they’ll render chicken fat into the braise for even more flavor. Chicken legs can be used, just know the cook time will vary.
- The herbs: We’ll use a combo of fresh and dried herbs; fresh thyme and dried herbs de Provence. Herbs de Provence is a delicious mix that can be found at most grocery stores, it’s a combination of thyme, marjoram, lavender, oregano, basil, and rosemary.
- Everything else: Wine, olives, garlic, shallots, tomatoes and capers. Yum! You can mix and match your olive selection, and adjust the amount of tomatoes you add. 1/4 of a sweet onion can be used instead of each shallot in a pinch.
Tools You’ll Need
This delicious French chicken must be made in a large braising pan. I love my Le Creuset for this, it does well in the oven at high temperatures, as well as regulating the heat on the stove for a quick and even sear on the chicken skin.
How to Make Chicken Provençal
Don’t let the long bake time scare you, this chicken Provençal recipe comes together with very little hands-on work (despite how flavorful it is!). Here are some step-by-step photos:
- Season the chicken.
- Sear chicken skin in oil.
- Combine all ingredients in the pan.
- Nestle chicken in.
What to Serve with Chicken Provençal?
This French chicken is so tender, and the Provencal sauce is so delicious, you’ve got to serve it with something to soak it all up! Some of our favorite accompaniments include:
- Fresh, crusty bread.
- A bed of rice, wild rice, brown rice, quinoa, or broccoli rice for a low carb version.
- Pasta also works here, twirl in some spaghetti, zucchini noodles, or spaghetti squash.
- For a delicious side salad, consider this simple arugula salad or kale salad.
What Wine Goes with Chicken Provençal?
Serve your Meditteranean chicken with olives alongside a glass of light red wine, such as Côtes du Rhône, or a crisp Provencal rosé.
Storing, Reheating, + Freezing
The beauty of chicken thighs is that they’re hard to overcook, and can be reheated without drying out, making this French chicken a beautiful meal prep dish, as the leftovers are easy to reheat without compromising flavor:
- Store in an airtight container on the fridge, making sure to stash anything you plan to serve it with separately.
- Reheat in the microwave with a damp paper towel on top, until heated through. Know that the chicken skin won’t be as crispy when reheated.
- You can freeze your chicken provençal, do so in an airtight container like a resealable baggie.
More Chicken Recipes
Chicken ProvençalPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 7-8 chicken thighs bone-in + skin-on
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons avocado or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons Herbes de Provence
- 4 shallots cut into quarters
- 8 cloves garlic peeled and kept whole
- 10 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup green olives drained
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 tablespoons capers drained
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1 cup white wine
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Place chicken on a plate lined with paper towels, and blot the top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides, and press to adhere.
- Heat vegetable or avocado oil in a large oven safe pan over high heat. Once the oil is shimmering and the pan is hot, sear the chicken skin side down until it gets golden and crispy. You may need to do this in batches depending on the side of your pan.
- Remove seared chicken to a plate, and add all remaining ingredients to the pan. Toss to combine. Nestle the chicken in between the veggies and olives.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour. Check to see that the chicken reaches an internal temp of 165 F before removing.
- Serve warm with fresh bread or rice. Enjoy!