Cheesy cauliflower casserole is the super easy and ridiculously delicious low carb vegetarian side dish you’ve been waiting for.
It’s the perfect compliment to any meal, made of only the tastiest keto, vegetarian and low carb shopping list items. Not to mention, the cheese sauce is so tasty, I wish you luck not to licking your saucepan clean before plating your meal!
If you’re sticking to low carb foods and looking for some cheesy, gooey goodness, then look no further than this cheesy cauliflower recipe!
Turn on that oven and let’s do this…
How to Make Cheesy Cauliflower
This easy cheesy cauliflower bake is super simple to throw together — Great for work nights and low carb meal prep alike! Here’s what you do:
1. Bake the cauliflower
This helps to soften the cauliflower while caramelizing the edges.
I do this by roasting cauliflower florets in a single layer on a baking sheet after they’ve been tossed in olive oil, salt and pepper (this step adds a little extra pizazz to our cheesy cauliflower dish!).
2. Make the Low Carb Cheese Sauce
Do this by simply combining your low carb cheese sauce ingredients in a saucepan and slowly melting everything together.
Be sure to use a saucepan with a thick core, heat the ingredients slowly, and stir your cheese sauce constantly so you don’t burn the bottom of your sauce!
3. Cover the cauliflower with your sauce
Place roasted cauliflower in an oven safe dish (I used a small cast iron, a square baking dish will work as well), and cover it in our cheese sauce. Now, give your cheesy cauliflower a stir to combine ingredients thoroughly.
4. If you don’t want the fun to stop, sprinkle your cheesy cauliflower with a little extra cheese and toss it in the oven to melt everything together.
I told you this cheesy cauliflower recipe is super easy to throw together! Now, let’s talk about some fancy add ons and variations you can try…
Cauliflower and Cheese Variations:
As is, this cauliflower and cheese recipe is all I need to be a happy camper: creamy, cheesy and delicious!
But, since I can’t get enough cheesy cauliflower in my life, I’ve tried a billion variations of this recipe — from adding protein, to sneaking in some keto vegetables...
Here are a few cheesy cauliflower variations you may want to try:
Save Your Favorite Recipes!Create an account and save all your favorite recipes for easy access!
1. Spice Up Your Keto Cheese Sauce
My taste tester (i.e. BF) loves his spicy food — I, on the other hand, am not as tough. To curb his cheesy cauliflower cravings, I add some tabasco to the keto cheese sauce.
To try this super simple cheesy cauliflower variation, add your hot sauce of choice to the cheese combo. Start with a little and work your way up — taste testing as you go with a spoon.
2. Super Simple: Baked Cauliflower with Cheese
In my house, extra lazy nights call for sheet pan meals — and baked cauliflower with cheese and breadcrumbs (here we use pork rinds!) is one of the easiest things to whip up.
I usually buy pre chopped cauliflower. Then toss it in a bowl with olive oil, Italian seasoning, rotisserie chicken, and garlic. Spread all of this onto a baking sheet and cover it with shredded cheese for a lazy girl’s take on cheesy cauliflower!
3. Protein Packed Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
Everyone on a low carb meal plan has different macro goals — in my house, we eat low carb with an emphasis on protein.
And since I enjoy the taste of cheese much more than chicken (or any sort of meat), I love adding some diced ham or shredded rotisserie chicken to this cauliflower mac and cheese — it’s a sneaky way to add some protein to this meal!
4. Cheesy Cauliflower Bake With Extra Veggies
Or, if you’d like to add some extra low carb vegetables to your cheesy cauliflower bake, simply toss them in olive oil and bake them on a sheet with the cauliflower!
Meal Prepping Cauliflower Mac and Cheese Keto
Low carb meal prep is life — and this cauliflower mac and cheese keto meal preps so nicely! Here’s how to do it:
- Make a double batch of this cheesy cauliflower (it requires the same amount of work, so why not??).
- Portion your cheesy cauliflower into individual serving sizes. You can do this in resealable bags, or into small containers.
Pst, some of my favorite/the best meal prep containers are made from glass — meaning you can heat up your cheesy cauliflower in the same container you stored it in!
3. Toss your containers or bags of cheesy cauliflower into the freezer.
Next time you’re looking super tasty low carb side dishes, simply place a cheesy cauliflower portion in the fridge overnight and toss it in the oven while you’re cooking dinner!
(Don’t put glass from the freezer directly into a warm oven!)
Cheesy Cauliflower Recipe
Alright low carb crew, let’s do this cheesy cauliflower bake low carb thing!
I hope you love this cauliflower cheese without flour as much as I do — after you give it a try, come back and let me know what you think! And which of the quick cauliflower cheese recipe variations you tried.
- 1 Head Cauliflower cut into florets
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Sea salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black pepper
- 4 Ounces Cream Cheese
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese shredded, more if you’d like to sprinkle some on top
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Thyme
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place cauliflower florets on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Toss cauliflower in olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the tops begin to brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, add the cream cheese, heavy cream, cheddar cheese and thyme and melt together over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Place cauliflower in a small casserole dish (I used an 8” cast iron here, but a square 8” casserole pan will work as well.)
- Pour cheese sauce evenly over the cauliflower.
- Option to sprinkle more shredded cheddar (about ½ cup) over the top of your cheesy cauliflower and melt it in the oven for about 10 minutes.
- Allow cheesy cauliflower to cool before serving and enjoy!
- Each head of cauliflower will yield a different amount. To most accurately calculate the nutrition, divide this recipe into 8 servings and use the macros below.
- Option to add more herbs/spices to the sauce (I wanted to keep this recipe as simple as possible, since my cauliflower mac and cheese requires quite a few additional ingredients!)
©Little Pine Low Carb. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media/website/blod is strictly prohibited.
Other Types of Low Carb Mac and Cheese
Although this cheesy cauliflower keto is a staple in my house, I’m always looking for new low carb mac and cheese recipes (mac and cheese was my childhood favorite!).
Here are a few additional ideas to help satiate your cheesy cravings:
Keto Mac and Cheese with Spaghetti Squash
As far as low carb noodles go — what do you think of spaghetti squash as a substitute?
I’m into it, but, it’s very different than traditional spaghetti. Anyway, in my opinion, this veggie is a super tasty way to enjoy keto mac and cheese — try baking spaghetti squash then covering it in our keto cheese sauce!
Another lazy meal in my house is to prepare shirataki noodles, then melt cheddar, garlic, salt, black pepper and a touch of butter on top. Word of waring: not everyone loves shirataki noodles…
Give ‘em a try and let me know what you think.